Chrissy Metz loses 100 pounds: ‘This is Us’ star shares her weight loss journey

Kate Pearson, Chrissy Metz’s character on “This Is Us,” will undergo a significant weight loss in Season 3.

She begins to look like she might be a plus-size model, Metz told reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, but “it’s about the journey of this woman’s weight loss and everybody’s going to have an opinion about it and what they think that means,” she said. “Some people are going to be really positive and some people aren’t.”

“It’s not in my contract” to lose weight for the show, she added, responding to critics who say her character’s story line sends a negative message about body image. “I don’t know why people think that.”

The actress revealed that last season was also very challenging for her personally — she had to lose 100 pounds after wrapping Season 1. She started off weighing 230 pounds and had slimmed down to around 149 pounds by the end of Season 2 in August.

“I did go under contract for season three,” she said when asked if losing weight would still be part of Kate’s storyline in future seasons.

Metz admitted that dropping a bunch of sizes so quickly was not easy.

“There were some weeks where I lost a pound and some weeks where I gained a pound,” she said. “It wasn’t linear. It makes sense [that] your body sometimes has different ideas.”

Of Freund, she said: “Whether or not I lose weight or stay the same size … it’s really about how I feel.”

Chrissy Metz would like you to understand that losing one hundred pounds was a difficult task.

In an interview with People, the “This Is Us” star said she started at 230 pounds and has since lost 100 pounds. “It’s been a true journey,” she said. “I have had to give up sugar and all carbs.”

The “This Is Us” actress has been open about her weight-loss journey from the start, but on Wednesday she shared some very personal details about her struggle with body image and dieting in an interview with The Cut’s editor-in-chief Stella Bugbee, who also lost 100 pounds (45 kilograms).

She revealed that she experimented with different diets but still battled binge eating. She also said it was hard for her to find clothes that fit properly.

“I would clean out my closet and get rid of anything that didn’t fit me. But then I would go buy new clothes because I thought ‘Oh, this will work,’” Metz told Bugbee. “And then it didn’t work.”

Metz told People magazine in October 2016 that she had lost 50 pounds (23 kilograms), but at the time was still struggling with depression over her weight gain in college and binge eating.

Metz said she has been working with a therapist who helped her realize that food wasn’t the enemy but rather a way for dealing with stress. He helped her learn how to make healthier choices when it comes to food and exercise too.

She added exercise is key on this journey for her as well: “I work out five days a week — running, biking swimming — and I feel like it keeps me grounded,” Chrissy said. “You have to be.”

On Thursday, at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, she told reporters, “It has been a hell of a journey.”

Metz gained fame for her role as Kate Pearson in the NBC drama that follows the lives of three siblings in different eras of their family history. After gaining weight for the part, she said she struggled with body image issues and food addiction.”I was very unhappy,” she told The Hollywood Reporter. “I had an unhealthy relationship with food, an unhealthy relationship with exercise and an unhealthy relationship with myself.”

She lost the weight by following a strict diet plan that restricted her calorie intake to between 1,600 and 1,800 calories per day.”It was really hard,” Metz said. “There were days where I would go into work crying because I missed cupcakes or ice cream or pizza — all those things that we all love!”

The actress revealed that while she initially lost weight slowly, it became harder as she got closer to her goal weight. “It became more difficult to lose weight as I got closer to my goal,” Metz said. “I had to work harder and harder each day.”

The 37-year-old actress, who plays Kate Pearson on NBC’s hit drama “This Is Us,” lost the weight after filming season one.

Metz, 37, told People that she shed pounds after season one wrapped and eventually dropped to about 149 pounds by the time season two ended.

The actress said that she cut out sugar and carbs from her diet–even if it meant staying away from some of her favorite foods like pizza.

“I’m a huge foodie,” Metz told People. “But I had to say goodbye to all my favorite things: pasta, breads and chocolate were out.”

“I think it’s just about getting back to basics,” Metz said of her weight loss journey. “It’s about listening to your body and not going too far away from what makes you feel good.”

“I’m still going to eat carbs, but I’m going to try and stay away from processed foods as much as possible,” she added. “I want my body to be healthy so I can live a long life and be here for my kids.”

This is the thing: at first I weighed 230 pounds and, when season two ended, I was about 149.

But how, you may ask. Chrissy told Yahoo! Lifestyle that she began at 230 pounds and was around 149 by the time season two wrapped.

The main difficulty for her was her packed schedule, which often meant long days on set followed by late nights shooting in Los Angeles–then flying back to New York City overnight to spend time with loved ones. In fact, she worked out so much during this time that she had trouble sleeping because she would be up all night tossing and turning from being physically tired every single day!

“I just wanted to feel okay with myself again,” she said, and this was what kickstarted her journey towards weight loss.

Losing weight is a personal experience.

It’s not just the amount of pounds you’ve lost.

It’s about being healthy and feeling good.

To achieve this, she deleted sugar and carbs from her diet, even if it meant not eating some of her preferred foods. Cut sugar and carbs. Consume more fruits and vegetables. Drink more water.

According to the website of Mayo Clinic, you should try for a minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables per day as part of a weight loss plan because that will help keep you full longer than fast-burning refined snacks which intervene between meals with healthy ones; especially also they ought to be high in fibre if possible since these take more time digesting unlike processed carbohydrates such as breads or pastas thereby filling up your belly quicker and leaving less space for other things like candy when trying lose weight!

“Bread? Nope, can’t have it — and forget about pizza!” she giggled. “I’ve been eating really clean.”

She added that her cheat days are a little different than most people’s. For her, they’re more like “cheat hours.”

“I’ll be like, ‘Oh, it’s a cheat day,’ but just for an hour,” she explained. “I’m not going to eat five trays of lasagna; I’m going to have a slice.”

As for exercise, Metz has been doing Pilates for four years and is currently working out seven days a week.

“I work out every single day,” she said. “We do cardio three or four times a week and then Pilates the other three or four days.”

Slimming down was an uphill task which required hard work and determination. But for Amanda Freund, her trainer who motivated her throughout the process, this would not have been possible.

It is difficult to lose weight. It needs a person to be dedicated, determined and put in the hard work. If you want to lose weight though, you will need someone there beside you cheering you on through every step of your journey – a support system that keeps them inspired and motivated all along. Also they should realise that what can be done within a given period; if it takes more time than anticipated by others who took up the same challenge before them so be it! Lastly: keep the fire burning!

Exercise and a healthy diet can help people lose weight!

When it comes to losing weight, exercise and a healthy diet are key.

Losing weight takes hard work and dedication but it’s possible. The first step is to find an exercise routine that works for you. Don’t be afraid to try new things! You might enjoy swimming or running might build up your legs. If dancing sounds fun then go ahead! You don’t have to do the same thing every day; mix up different activities throughout the week so it doesn’t become boring (and also because variety is good).

Another way people lose weight is by eating fewer meals per day than they normally would; this keeps them from feeling too full after one big meal, which can cause sickness from overeating later in the day instead of just eating what was prepared earlier.”

Conclusion

Chrissy Metz has inspired many with her weight loss journey as she worked hard and stayed determined to achieve her goals of becoming healthy and fit. But what she wants everyone else who hopes for similar results knows is that this didn’t happen overnight – it took years! If you’re looking for ways on how you can shed some pounds yourself take note out Chrissy’s playbook by eliminating sugar intake along with cutting down carbs while incorporating regular physical activity into your daily routine.