Reflection Paper #2 – Larry Thomas, Jr.

I have started to understand what it is that my major means. I have learned to apply it to my daily career objectives. The ADDIE module is what has been helping me to comprehend why certain functions are the way they are. When you have to pull reports and figure out different means of gathering data to see if the program that you are working on is fulfilling its true function.

Lately, we have been learning about how to administer assessments and read evaluations. From what I can gather and have done it’s a process that can go two ways. It can go either very badly for the program that you are doing, or it can go very well where you get the answers that you are seeking. Now in some of the cases analysis we were prompted to build a lesson plan and develop ways to deliver assessments so that the people or groups in the case analysis. This was kind of a hard task at first because I understood the lesson plan portion, but I have not had much experience gathering data from assessments nor have I understood how to give them. Working with my director he explained and showed me the reason why he administered assessments in the program during certain workshops. Once I looked at the reasons, he used those assessments things became a little clearer.

My confusion came into play when things turned from assessments to evaluation. In my mind each of these words mean the same thing. However, I have come to learn that while building workshops and programming they have different meanings.  So, the correction I came to realize is that in program building you bring about small assessments in order to gauge the person(s) knowledge. “Formative evaluations are conducted during the process of designing and developing the materials-while there’s still time to make changes.” (Katherine Cennamo and Debby Kalk, 2019) This is a way to see if what you are teaching or going through a program its better to understand if what you are saying is getting through or if you need to change direction towards something else, this is what assessment is all about. When you must evaluate a program, you do so in its wholeness. This is what you call at summative evaluation. “Summative evaluation measures the effectiveness of instruction after it has been finalized.” (Katherine Cennamo and Debby Kalk, 2019) After a person(s) have gone through the program you are administering.

Once I placed all of these things together, I have started to understand why it is so important to gather this information. I began to place pre-assessments before many of my workshops and used summative evaluations at the end in order to upgrade my workshops to be more tailored to what the students needs are. Just these small changes have helped not only me to grow but my students to gain a better understanding what I am presenting to them. I am gaining more of an interest to know what else I need to learn in order to become a better programmer for my students.

Works Cited

Katherine Cennamo and Debby Kalk. (2019). Real World Instructional Design An Iterative Approach to Design Learning Experiences. New York: Routledge.