Reflection Paper 1

We have covered a lot of material since the first class on August 27, 2019.  Our first discussion topic was on “The Proper Way to Become an Instructional Technologist” by Lloyd Reiber.  Reading this paper gave me clarity on design theory and design practice.

I agree with Lloyd Reiber in his closing statements, that there is not one proper way to become an instructional technologist.  While I also don’t believe that going to a university and getting a degree is all that will be needed, I do believe that education in theory, research, practice and trends gives a great foundation to the proper way to become an Instructional Technologist.  The application of this in real world scenarios is the proper way to become an Instructional Technologist/Designer.

I, at times, thought that using a particular theory means that it must be followed and applied completely.  However, learning that instructional design is an iterative process and not linear in nature is something that will improve my course design process.

Another paper on “Competencies for Instructional Designers” by Klein and Kelly was thought provoking.  I think the most important competencies for Instructional Designers are not just the skills needed to develop sound instructional design products, such as, how to apply the appropriate knowledge of design theory. Demonstrating good communication and interpersonal skills is also important. 

Chapter 1 “Introduction to Instructional Design” of the book – “Real World Instructional Design” by Cennamo and Kalk gives a good viewpoint on design.  It states that design is at the heart of many occupations. Also, “design” implies that there is careful planning prior to development. 

Also, in Chapter 1 is discussed the Essential Triangle of Instructional Design being formed by outcomes, activities and assessments.  The learner is in the center and evaluation wraps around all the elements. The Five Phases of Instructional Design – Define, Design, Demonstrate, Develop, and Deliver have some similarity with the ADDIE model of instructional design. I like the fact that it is an iterative model, however. 

In Chapter 2 “Learner Needs and Characteristics”, was a new concept to me.  Especially the process of the learners’ characteristics.  The whole process will begin with discovering the learners’ needs, which will impact the goals and outcomes of the instruction.  Likewise, it’s important to determine the learners’ characteristics, which will determine the instructional strategy and activities. 

Our case studies to date are providing me with practical application of the theories and systems we are learning about.  Our first case study Jackie Moore – was a great exercise for us in identifying the instructional design phases.  Our second case study, Leping Deju, took us into the beginnings of instructional design working on learner needs and characteristics.

My readings from our other course book “An Overview of Training and Development, Why Training Matters” by Carliner and Driscoll were quite relevant for me.  In the training and development field, this book addresses my profession in a real-world way.

I look forward to what I will learn next.