Annotation of The Innovation Campus by Alexandra Lange

“That warren of D.I.Y. offices, allocated to researchers from across the university, produced, through proximity, and many breakthrough encounters in its 50 plus years.  The building was demolished in 1998, replaced with Frank Gehry’s Stata Center, one of the first campus structures that tries to recreate building 20’s ferment”   To me, this really shows M.I.T.’s dedication to the new investment in new classrooms and research facilities.  They took a building that had a rich educational history innovation with confidence that they were taking the right step towards increasing creativity among their students.

“Though studies have shown that proximity and conversation can produce creative ideas, there’s little research on the designs needed to facilitate the process.” Universities are taking a huge progressive leap that could potentially change education altogether.  If their new buildings generate the increase in creativity like they are hoping, it could potentially re-shape the method of learning for K-12 students.

“Staircases and halls are wide and often daylit, encouraging people to dwell between their appointments in hopes of having a creative collision.  Exposure to natural light itself contributes to improved workplace performance.”  I think that this is a step in the right direction compared to the traditional overhead lighting.  Personally, I think all classrooms should have some sort of skylight or window.

“A sculptural staircase, jutting provocatively from the side of the building, was designed to encourage students and faculty members to take the stairs in their work space.” It sounds like colleges are investing in architecture that almost resembles art.  How could this evolve further for schools in the future?

“No one has a private office at the Bloomberg Center, the primary academic building, and opaque walls are few” Is this going to become an issue for professors and faculty?  If I was a teacher there would be times when I felt like I would need to be secluded from potential distractions in order to get work finished.  Also, if more people can see you working in your office, more people are likely to interrupt you while you work.

“‘As you begin to understand how people work together, there’s is an ideal size of collaboration’ said Ung-Joo Scott Lee, principal at Morphosis, the architects. ‘Beyond five people it is too much of a crowd'” Personally, I work better by myself, so what about other students that can that can relate to that?

“‘Live. Create. Launch.’  That’s the tagline for the University of Utah’s $45 million Lassonde Studios, opening this month.  The residential component has been absorbed in” I think that it;s a great way to incorporate creative workspaces into residence halls.  There are many times when I wished GSU had resources like this in my dorm.

“All the programs offered by Lassonde Entrepreneurial Institue, the division that is building the studios, are extracurricular and interdisciplinary; a few degrees are offered in partnership with the business school.”  I personally think that they should offer more degree in this area.  It seems like a way the University can get more attendance for the business school.  There are probably going to be students that discover their newfound passion utilizing these resources. 

“A double goes for $6,830 for the academic year, a three-person lost for $9,135.  Elsewhere on campus: $4,874 for a double, $4,874 for a double, $4,367 for a triple deluxe” These prices are fairly steep, even for other buildings on their campus.  In reality, you can split the rent in an apartment for far cheaper than living in dorms.