To John Lewis (2)…

Dear Mr. Lewis…

Reading pages 25-80 of the book, “March: Book Three” did cover a lot of issues in regards to the civil rights movement, like how organizations had to come together and think how they could get their voices heard and the deaths of people who supported the movement.

In this part of the story, I got to see a lot more depth into the situation. I did think about it before that supporters of the movement would disagree with each other on the level of violence should their protests be. Organizers then introduced a “Freedom Vote”, which was a mock vote allowing African-Americans to vote without fear of discrimination and get a glimpse into what it feels like to vote, even if it is a mock. But then came the assassination of John F. Kennedy. I appreciate the honesty of your feelings about this event. I did hear about the Freedom Summer murders from the movie “Mississippi Burning”, and the movie version was more graphical than this book but they got it just right.

This section of the book did cover a lot more not because of the page length, but the variety of the situations that it comes with. It did remind me about society issues from the past but what did exactly happen to have moments like this. The 15th Amendment stated that all “men” have the right to vote regardless of their race, and the 19th Amendment said that gender no longer applies to voting, so why would the white supremacists continue to do this that I would consider unlawful?

It boggles my mind trying to find an answer, and what we have today is a totally different story. I don’t know if we still face issues like these but some out there are, unfortunately, related.