December 1

compassion poster

Interview with Terminus Hate City founder and Local Atlanta metal legend Brad Jessup

1. How did you get into metal music?
    Growing up, my Dad had Black Sabbath’s Paranoid on vinyl. It was one of my favorite things to listen to, even though I knew very little about what “metal” actually was. My parents were (are) very christian, so it wouldn’t be until middle and high school where I got into the really heavy stuff.
  1. What drew you to this style of music?
    A few things. I start playing guitar in sixth grade, and as I got better through out the years, I was looking for the “heavier/ faster/ harder” riffs. I was a kid who listened to a lot of punk music, so naturally I played mostly punk one guitar. When that felt too simplistic, I wanted to practice more challenging songs, I broadened my musical knowledge. That, and living in the first age of being able to find and download just about any band/ artist online helped me discover some of my favorite bands in metal to this day.
  2. Do people view you a certain way based off the music you listen to?
    Sometimes, but Atlanta is a very diverse city, so I don’t believe it is the best example. Also, depends on what part of Atlanta you go to. The craziest comment I remember getting is someone was SO offended by a shirt I was wearing from Goatwhore, one of my favorite bands. He yelled at me “SO WHAT IS A GOATWHORE?” As if I had offended his mother, or himself personally. Whenever I go out of town, and dress in my vest with patches, some people give me looks, probably more so because of the pentagrams I don, than the bands I have patched in. Really the only question/ look I get nowadays is “are you in a band”….
  3. Describe a time in your life where metal music helped you deal with something hard.
    I have plenty of those instances. It would take too long to tell all of the stories that metal/ heavy music has helped me through difficult times. For starters, I grew up in a Christian household, but always denounced that faith, because of the corruption, fallacies, and hypocrisies I could sense even as a child. That, and I had several events in my childhood that forced me to question faith. Metal was something I could relate to, both in my search for some form of meaning, and relating to those who challenge theological ideals. Metal has also helped me through plenty of rough break ups.
  4. What’s something positive you’ve found through metal music?
    So much. I’ve found family, camaraderie, the courage to start my own record label. Almost all of my best friends I have found through the metal or punk scene. I’ve climbed out of very dark places in my head by simply throwing on a favorite record, or discovering a new artist, and appreciating that little moment of discovery enough to pick myself back up. Music is always changing, progressing, and inspiring. It is art, and is one of the most complicated, beautiful, and intricate art forms that we have. It is meant to cause people discomfort, confusion, even hate, just like nearly every classic music genre ahead of its time has.

Materials used

This project was a mix of images from metal magazines, religious books and pictures printed the internet with a little sharpie marker throw in.

Posted December 1, 2021 by Elias Moore in category Uncategorized

About the Author

Elias Moore was born in Atlanta, GA on March 6th 1999. Growing up, he loved to create especially drawing and painting. He continued to draw and paint throughout his life. Even when he went through a period where he thought anything he drew wouldn't be good enough, he produced some great pieces that he looks back on now with fondness.