Free Day in Belfast – Giant’s Causeway Tour!

For our free day in Belfast, Nicole, Shana, and I decided to go on a full-day Giant’s Causeway Tour! To say it was breathtaking would be an extreme understatement – this tour was one of the best experiences I’ve had abroad to date. There were times that I had to remember that I was in Ireland because some of the locations were so tropical-esque. The drive was so peaceful, and the tour guide was excellent at pointing out all of the historical stops along the way. At one point, he said that he does this tour every weekday and he never gets bored or tired of it because the views are so gorgeous – that says something. The views are incredible and I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing it every day!

First, we made a quick stop at the Carrickfergus Castle, built in the 12th century – around the 1120s I believe – and surprisingly well kept for its age. We didn’t have time to go into the castle, but I really enjoyed the views from the outside and would love to come back some day! It’s something my husband would jump at the chance to do.

Next, we made our way to the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge, which we were so happy to find out was OPEN! When we booked the tour we found out that it was vandalized and closed “indefinitely” but they fixed it much faster than we thought. It cost six pounds to cross and it was so fun – I’ve actually been on bridges much more rickety so I found it quite easy to cross! The views were impeccable and the hike was tough but worth it.

Next up – Giant’s Causeway! After a lunch break, we were finally able to take a more leisurely walk to these incredible rocks at the end of the trail. Hard on the feet and ankles, but amazing to climb on and cross. I found a spot right where waves crash where not a lot of people were to claim as my own for a good while, and found myself wishing I had a good book and all the time in the world to relax on the rocks. So many people were there, but it was easy to tune it all out and connect with nature.

During the drive back to Belfast, I kept thinking about how wonderful the day was and how lucky I was to go on the tour. With this, and today’s museum/gardens visit, Black Taxi Tour, and delicious dinner, I’m sad to leave Ireland but know that I will always remember this fantastic trip – and who knows, I might even frame some of the pictures with breathtaking views that I happened to capture!