Joyce and Vermeer

The Vermeer exhibit was probably the most profound exhibit I have ever seen. Not only were Vermeer originals on display, but also Gerard ter Borch’s works were there. Ter Borch is one of my personal favorites and I was so surprised and excited to see his pieces displayed. I also really enjoyed how the exhibit was constructed. The National Gallery of Ireland did an incredible job in conceptualizing how this exhibit would flow and move throughout Vermeer’s subjects and styles. All of the works reflected the influence of their contemporaries. Even ter Borch, who seemed the originator of many of the subjects used in Vermeer and others’ works, was influenced by younger artists. This back and forth between artists, be it competitive or complimentary, was very reminiscent of some of the authors in Ireland. They were influenced by each other, and also extremely competitive. I am especially reminded of the relationship between James Joyce and Oliver St. John Gogarty. They were friends, but also highly competitive. Our James Joyce tour guide described them as “frenemies”. Joyce even solidified St. John Gogarty in an unflattering light in his play, Ulysses. They were always pushing one another because each thought that they were the more talented and more intelligent author. They are both remembered in connection to one another. This is an aspect that is very interesting when applied to the artists, since their works were displayed in an exhibit together. Also, many artists are referred to as an influencer or one that was influenced by Vermeer. Vermeer’s works act as the cornerstone of the group, as did James Joyce. Overall, I was extremely happy with the exhibit and I will never forget seeing his work in person.