Wilde and the National Library

This morning in class, we discussed Oscar Wilde’s “The Portrait of Mr. W. H.” I really enjoyed reading the story, despite my little knowledge of Shakespearean theory. I found it really interesting how we could tie some of the themes from James Joyce’s writing to Oscar Wilde’s, such as the role that memory plays in the stories.

After our discussion, we headed to the Oscar Wilde statue. I don’t know what I expected the statue to look like, but I was surprised when I saw Oscar Wilde sprawled out across a rock. I thought it really captured his personality as laid back and care free.

After our quick visit with Oscar Wilde, we continued on to the National Library. I found the Yeats exhibit really interesting. There were so many unexpected things in there, like a lock of his hair?? I also loved the fact that they included things like his personal copy of “Walden” by Thoreau. For some reason I find it really interesting to see the types of literature that influential writers were reading at the time. I also enjoyed looking at the original notes of his, especially his draft of “Lake Isle of Innisfree.”

Set apart from the exhibit was a small stand with all the rejection letters that Joyce had received while trying to get his work published. Though rejection is never something to be happy about, it was very humbling to see that such an incredible author had to try so hard, and so many times to get his work out.