Howth

Today started off great with a delicious breakfast and a short and spiced class. Our readings were a W.B Yeats poetry selection. We discussed the various and complex imagery he used to describe the war and the people involved in Easter,1916. I decided to read Easter,1916 because Yeats spent part of his life in Howth and that is where we spent the day.

The flora and fauna in Howth were spectacular. Diana, Chelsea, and I saw many birds diving for fish. One bird let out a screech of joy when it finally caught a fish after several unsuccessful attempts.

Howth was absolutely astonishing. Never have I hiked on a mountain side/ cliff adjacent to the ocean. While I was up there I though about the cliffs by the ocean at my grandfather’s house in Jamaica. They are not as high up as the ones in Ireland. Sometimes it is very surreal to think about how similar the two islands are even though they are an ocean apart. When I was up there I felt very connected, almost as if I had been there before. This for me shows that place is very complex and not something that can be easily decerned. How can I feel so connected to a place I have never been to? As soon as I saw the cliffs, rocks, ocean stretching for miles and felt the breeze I immediately thought of home. This showed me that there’s is an in between place where one can make a new and unfamiliar place their home because it reminds them of their actual home.