Bacon’s Studio

While at the Hugh Lane Gallery, I was struck by Francis Bacon’s studio. By being identical to his studio on the day he died, the studio carries a subtly somber tone. Though filled with bright colors, the door itself is a barrage of brightness, the fact that this space is no longer filled with that creative spark is evident. The tools almost yearn to be picked up again- to feel an artist’s touch. What also struck me about this space was the concept of place. This place was intentionally chaotic. In fact, the Hugh Lane Gallery makes a point in highlighting Bacon’s quotes about the space. He worked better in this chaos, and it seems to have mirrored the way his own brain worked. I also think that this chaos is reflected in his work. The chaos in his work is evident through the various streams of thought highlighted within them. They usually contain more than one subject, though the others are not nearly as strong. Bacon’s work feels as equally chaotic as his workspace, which was his place of power. That is where he was dominant and felt most comfortable. In fact, Bacon would impart this dominance to other spaces as well. One quote offered the idea that any “clean” studio that Bacon used would become chaotic in a few day’s time. The reason this idea and the studio were so striking to me was the fact that I am the complete opposite. Chaos equals anxiety to me. I cannot work in a messy room, much less a studio like that. Also, any place I use I take great care to keep it tidy. This could say something about the submissive nature of my personality versus Bacon’s dominant one. Or, it could say that we both approach our spaces in a way that reflects our thoughts. In my case, I strive for order. In Bacon’s case, perhaps his brain was steeped in chaos and turmoil.