A Castle Frozen in Time

Today was very interesting day. We finally got to discuss a little bit of Eastern Rising of 1916, and we even had a quick  review section of  “The Easter Rising: A Guide to Dublin in 1916″ By Conor Kostick and Lorgan Collins .I found the book  to be concise, and very well organized. The information found in this text was very helpful to understand the significance of the Easter Rising.  As a political science major, I was really excited to visit the places that held historical significance in the process of Independence of this nation such as: The General Post Office, Trinity College, City Hall,  and Dublin Castle. The experience was even better than what I have expected, thanks to our tour guide: Lorgan Collins.Yes! The author of the book! He is obviously very knowledgeable about the subject, and was able to provide very interesting details of this period of time.

Dublin Castle was in my opinion one of the most beautiful places we have visited so far. What impressed me the most about this place is the fact that it has been around since the medieval times. According to Dublin Castle’s website this place was built in 1204 and served until 1922 as the home of the English monarchs, and  Irish representatives. It was amazing to see how well conserved this place remains. I seem like it had have been froze on time. This reminded me of the concept introduced by Cresswell that explains that places hold significance not because of their location, but because of the memories that have been created in a that particular space. He invited us to think of memories as being  timeless and define not by space, but by history.

One thought on “A Castle Frozen in Time