Why My Presentation Sucked: Part 1

So I presented at a conference recently and my session reaaaaallly didn’t go over well. Why? Well, I think that my stumbling can be ascribed to several factors. But before I get into why I failed – and what I learned from this failure – I want to tell you about my presentation plan. The easiest way to showcase what I thought was going to happen is to plop my conference proposal here. I’ll do that now in this post. In Part 2 two weeks from now (stay tuned!) I’ll tell you about why I think my presentation failed – and why talking about failure to your students and colleagues is critical in our current higher education environment. Ok, so here’s the proposal:

“Doing a Thing and Its Opposite”: Navigating Teaching and Instructional Design in the Postmodern

The purpose of this session is to give attendees a thoughtful space to discuss and ponder the often paradoxical work that we do in colleges and universities. During the first part of the session I’ll present my own lived experience as a professor, faculty development manager, and instructional designer, focusing specifically on the constant tension between accountability, innovation, ethics, and the very real effects of these tensions on the lives of those living and learning in higher ed. My overall guiding questions for this session are: How can we live (well) as higher educators in an environment that asks us to “do a thing and its opposite”? What are the effects of this dual existence?

Inspiration for this his session is based on my observations and notes over 5 years teaching a Freshman Studies course as well as my interactions with clients on instructional design projects in higher education. I’ll discuss my journey through modernism to critical theory to postmodernism and how each of these movements affected my teaching and design practice. In addition, I’ll discuss how these conflicting theoretical orientations affected (and still affect) my relationships with students and my colleagues.

I’ll then transition to a group discussion where audience members can deconstruct their own experiences living in the cracks and fissures between theory and practice. Possible guiding themes during this discussion will include issues surrounding surveillance and data mining in LMS environments and the dual possibility/impossibility of democratic teaching and design. It is my sincere hope that attendees find this conversation nourishing and continue to muse on the in-between educational spaces that we inhabit.

So as you can see I had Grand Visions for my conference presentation. Curious about what happened to complicate my fantasy? Stay tuned for Part 2! Alternately (or in addition) please feel free to post your own theories and stories below in the comments.

About

Bing

Posted in #trending
35 comments on “Why My Presentation Sucked: Part 1
  1. tony says:

Interesting subject matter, though the piece would have been much more interesting, and much less annoying if it were not divided into separate postings.

2. Sam Neal says:

Dating high value women (models, celebrities, extremely wealthy, etc) is really no different from dating other women. The non verbal/verbal skill sets don’t change.
    The_Backpage_Plan

3. 카지노사이트 says:

Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, 카지노사이트

4. 파워볼사이트 says:

It’s an awesome paragraph designed for all the web visitors; they will get benefit from it I am sure. 파워볼사이트

5. 토토사이트 says:

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and the rest of the website is extremely good. 토토사이트

6. Karl Rebi says:

Writing papers is a torture for me! Thank God, I’ve found a necessary essay sample on this website. It helped me do my own paper.

7. Mookawlat says:

Really great and useful post, thanks for sharing.
    شركة تعقيم منازل

8. Jackie Bond says:

Gordana Skugar is the main extravagance realtor in significant nation regions including Nassau County, Brooklyn, and Queens. She has accomplished her present status through her tremendous information and experience working in the field. https://mostaccuratehomemarketvalue.com/blog/best-realtors-nassau-brooklyn-queens-longisland-ny

9. Marks4sure says:

It’s now just a piece of cake! Rely on Marks4sure’s easy AZ-104 Questions Answers that can give you first time success with 100% money back guarantee! Thousands of IT professional have already been benefited with the marvelous AZ-104 Q&As and have obtained their dream certification. https://www.marks4sure.com/AZ-104-exam.html

10. فرهاد بشیری says:

I have read your amazing post.
    اجاره آپارتمان در اندیشه :https://amlaklotfi.ir/property-status/for-rent/

11. Robin butler says:

If you need to deliver incredible leads, by then using pay per click the board is the best decision for you. We are filling in as a strong name in the field of pay per click the heads models.
    https://www.seopromisers.com/seo-services.php

12. 토토사이트 says:

Hello I am” 토토사이트 “. I think my writing will be helpful to you, so I leave it like this. Your writing also helped me. It looks like we will help each other.

13. lucy john says:

University presentations and assignment writing is a very tough and time taking task. As both require hard work and creative skills to do. Which not every student’s cup of tea, that is why I prefer best university assignment writer and presentation makers who provide great help in doing academic work.
    https://www.thedissertationhelp.co.uk/open-university-assignment-help/

14. 토토사이트 says:

I’m writing on this topic these days, , but I have stopped writing because there is no reference material. Then I accidentally found your article. I can refer to a variety of materials, so I think the work I was preparing will work! Thank you for your efforts. 토토사이트

15. John Micson says:

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses.
    Emergency Locksmith Waldorf MD

16. Clarrison says:

I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight.
    Commercial Locksmith Baltimore MD

17. Robert Coelho says:

people should understand that teaching is not an easy job because it requires a lot of confidence to tackle the audience. Regards, Essay writing

18. kalvinjohn says:

These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    CAT5 and CAT6 Wiring Services in TAMPA FL

19. Arnold Miler says:

With over ten years of experience servicing clients nationally, we feel we are the Top Digital Marketing Company. We use digital platforms to share your story and bind your brand to clients, boosting your company and assisting you in reaching your full online potential.

20. kalvinjohn says:

Advance Restoration in Great Falls VA
    Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

21. rosie john says:

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
    Local Moving Services in Fairfax VA

22. Rosie says:

Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.
    Furniture Assembly services Fairfax VA

23. Rosie says:

Moving Fairfax VA

24. George Harry says:

No doubt presentation is the big deal for those who present in front of the entire hall so make your skills in your presentation https://www.assignmentmax.co.uk/law-essay-writing/.

25. clair filip says:

I appreciated your work very thanks
    Stain Removal Severna Park MD

26. Sophia Wilson says:

Dissertation writing is a complex procedure as it involves proper literature search and technical information about the topic. Sample Assignment is known for providing trustworthy and affordable dissertation help online to students.

27. Leading Digital Marketing Services Company in New Jersey says:

We, CMT Direct, can help you get more LEADS, traffic, and revenue with the right strategy.
    In addition, we are a Leading Digital Marketing Services Company in New Jersey.

28. Alder Michael says:

We are one of the best Dissertation help UK. We have more than 1000+ students who are satisfied with our work quality. We have a team of Professional Tutors who are available 24/7 for any student in every field of education.

29. John Micson says:

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! Upholstery Cleaning Somerville MA

30. ben stokes says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Packing Services Mountain House CA

31. 파칭코사이트인포 says:

Hard to ignore such an amazing article like this. You really amazed me with your writing talent. Thank for you shared again.

파칭코사이트인포

32. 텍사스홀덤사이트 says:

I’ve a project that I am just now working on, and I have been on the look out for such information. 텍사스홀덤사이트

33. Packing Unpacking Brighton MI says:

including reasonable comments here… Packing Unpacking Brighton MI

34. Alder Micson says:

CMT Direct is a leading digital agency, known for top SEO Service in New York and New Jersey. We help business attract more traffic leading to lead and sale by creating SEO campaigns tailor-made specifically for that business. We help your business reach the right audience through our digital marketing services including Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Marketing and PPC. This is a Web Developer Near Me Organization In United States.

35. John Micson says:

I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. Tile & Grout Cleaning Service in Virginia Beach VA