Tool Users vs. Homo Sapiens and the Megamachine

Introduction

Should the human body shape technological innovation or should technology shape the human body? Theorist Lewis Mumford wrote extensively on this question in the early to mid-20th century. In this short post I’d like to very briefly explore Mumford’s thinking, focusing in particular on his piece Tool-Users vs. Homo Sapiens and the Megamachine.

Lewis Mumford: Basic Ideas

Lewis Mumford was a multi-disciplianry 20th century thinker with a large body of work concerning the effects of technology on humans. In Tool-Users vs. Homo Sapiens and the Megamachine, Mumford introduces the theory of organic humanism or the idea that automatization and mechanization must take human organic limitations into consideration. Mumford contends that totalitarianism is the result of technologically-advanced societies that fail in this respect.

The following quote from Tool-Users provide an intriguing appetizer to this theory:

..only when play and work form part of an organic cultural whole, as in Tolstoy’s picture of the mowers in Anna Karenina, can the many-sided requirements for full human growth be satisfied. Without serious responsible work, man progressively loses his grip on reality. Instead of liberation from work being the chief contribution of mechanization and automation, I would suggest that liberation for work, for more educative, mind-forming, self-rewarding work, on a voluntary basis, may become the most salutary contribution of a life-centered technology (p. 351).

Thus, Mumford is not anti-technology but is rather pro-life centered technology. In other words, Mumford believes that the goals of technological progression should align with the physical and emotional needs of humans.

Grigoriy Myasoyedov: Busy Time for the Mowers (1887)

Educational Relevance

So what effect does this type of discourse have on higher ed? Two avenues to explore are 1) creating more satisfying, humane degrees, programs, and courses for students and 2) creating more fulfilling work experiences for faculty, staff, and administrators. You can explore other authors’ thoughts on the megamachine and other Mumfordian concepts in these GSU library articles:

Questions for Consideration

• Do we always want to take human limitations into consideration? Or can humans be enhanced by technological tools and processes in a way that is “life-centered”?
  • Mumford was writing at a time when the automatization of production was negatively influencing the lives of workers. Can we apply his thinking to our current technological culture of automatized leisure? For instance, can we identify Snapchat as a tool that is “life-centered” or “life-denying”?
  • Mumford’s thinking seems dichotomous and follows a developmental trajectory. Is the story here actually more complicated? For instance, can any one mechanized/automatized technology be both simultaneously enriching and impoverishing?

About

Bing

Posted in #trending
12 comments on “Tool Users vs. Homo Sapiens and the Megamachine
  1. Bayu ramdan says:

good information and really helped friends 🙂

2. macmsksthd says:

Thank you so much for this. I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to ch https://vidmate.onl/ eck if its possible but couldnt get it done. Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys
    with
    regards

3. daisykale says:

I am in need of a replacement product, exactly what I need. hole io

4. Tomas Andrious says:

I completely resolved my question when I read this post, thanks to the author for the very detailed description. I wrote my review on the essay writing lab uk, you can go in and read. Thank you very much for your attention in your time.

5. GregoryLee says:

Human labor is becoming very expensive. I mean everything about manual work. Cleaning services are a special item on this list. However, there is some good news for homeowners here. Here, read the latest news aboutabout pool vacuums. I started using this gadget myself and could compare it in terms of costs. My opinion is that this kind of automation provides a tremendous advantage.

6. lana rose says:

Guards in Herndon VA
    Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

7. Boudreaux says:

A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.

https://www.omegle.zone/

8. clair filip says:

Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information!
    Tile Cleaning Hanover MD

9. John Micosn says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.. Floor Stripping Somerville MA

10. ben stokes says:

I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!.

11. pavelianra125 says:

This post has included various ways for USAA Card Activation. There are various ways by which cardholders can activate their new debit card or credit card

12. John Micson says:

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Eco Green Services Norfolk VA