Gone are the days of static math problems…

Yep, you heard right. No more graph paper and pencils. No more painstakingly plotting individual points of an equation to see it visually. Now students and instructors can create, copy, and tweak graphs and interactive problem sets using Desmos – and it’s FREE!

Investing in a graphing calculator is no small feat for students and it is even harder to swallow when they may only use the device for  a couple of classes. Additionally, individual graphing calculators make it difficult for instructors to ensure each student actually graphs the equation correctly. Now with the Desmos calculator, students have access to a free and easy to use graphing calculator and instructors can build assignments that show each individual student’s work using the assignment builder.

Free Graphing Calculator

The Desmos Calculator has an easy to use interface and comes with free tours and tutorial videos to help students/instructors construct graphs. There seems to be no end in the types of graphs that can be plotted: trigonometry, polynomial, polar, inequalities, even 3D. The calculator is web-based and can be accessed from any device (e.g., laptop, mobile) so long as it is connected to the internet. Students can either use the calculator anonymously or create an account to save and submit their work.

Free Activity Builder

As an instructor, you can create your own assignments using the Desmos Activity Builder or search for existing assignments made by the community and Desmos. If you find an assignment that you like, you can copy or tweak it to meet your needs. Instructors will need to create an account to design and assign activities. Once the activity is created, students access it by typing in a code associated with your assignment. A great example is the Marble Slide Activity, created by Desmos.

Marbles dropping into two parabolas in order to collect all the stars successfully.

Gif created by Dan Meyer

Posted in #trending, Cool Tools
17 comments on “Gone are the days of static math problems…
  1. Bayu ramdan says:

as beautiful glasses, this article is amazing, clear but many meanings …

2. Neil Das says:

Talking to your showbox girlfriend face-to-face is an excellent way to gain a better understanding of her.

3. Protar Smith says:

Sometimes you can’t pick up on things like voice intonation or sarcasm through text kodi message, and you can’t look at her body language when you’re talking to her over the phone.

4. Jenever John says:

Set some time aside to speak with her openly and honestly about anything. It could be small-talk tutuapp about how your day went, or it can be deeper and more meaningful conversations about what makes you both happy.

5. rtc qatar says:

RTC QATAR Online Office Stationery Supplies in Doha, Qatar. Order Office Products, School Supplies, Computer, Printers, Ink & Toner Cartridges https://rtcqa.net/

6. dudleypadberg says:

It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share
    Best beef to smoke

7. zhina says:

اجاره آپارتمان در تهران این روزها ممکن است کار سختی بنظر بیاید اما با انتخاب یک ابزار درست میتوان این پروسه را به راحتی طی کرد

8. Merrick Musa says:

You are new to static math and you will adjust yourself in that calculate system with time. All you need to do is keep going to https://www.meldium.com/how-to-become-a-professional-content-writer/ and learn how you can become a professional content writer with time. You got the chance to access the mathematics Labs for the first time and it might be a lifetime experience for you to have.

9. Robot says:

Residential Restoration in Herndon VA
    Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

10. Rosie says:

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Moving Services in Fairfax VA

11. clair filip says:

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    Floor Work Hanover MD

12. John Micson says:

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. Commercial Floor Cleaning Somerville MA

13. ben stokes says:

I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. Packing Services San Ramon CA

14. John Micson says:

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future… Floor Waxing Watertown MA

15. Professional local Moving Company in Brighton MI says:

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! Professional local Moving Company in Brighton MI

16. John Micson says:

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I’m pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. Mold Removal Services Norfolk VA

17. John Micson says:

Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. Carpet Repairing Services in Norfolk VA