Instructional Innovation on Campus: Climate Literacy Labs

I’ve now worked at the CII for ten months. Coming from a corporate instructional design background I’ve been learning and adjusting to the world of higher education. One of the biggest differences I’ve noticed is pace. I’ve been cranking out projects as fast as possible at previous jobs. This isn’t the case at GSU and at first I found it somewhat uncomfortable. Then I got a chance to help Jeremy Diem with the Climate Literacy Labs.

The project originally started when Dr. Diem asked the CII if we could do anything to improve the current lab website. Students access this site during lab to read content and answer short response questions. The current site was mostly text with some multimedia sprinkled in here and there. Creating instructional multimedia is my jam so I was excited to help. The lab has around 1500 students a year so making improvements could benefit a lot of learning experiences.

climate01

Website used by students in lab.

Now in my previous work settings I would have made some cool multimedia assets, given them to the client, and called it a day. Luckily that’s not what happened. After some conversations between Dr. Diem and the CII we decided that we could more than just website face lift. We decided to build a new online module designed for students to access before they came into lab.

climate02

Interactive map and graph visualization for the new online module.

Because   students were accessing the content and questions on their own time we were able to use the lab time differently. Taking a flipped classroom approach we developed an activity that took content from the online module and had the students apply it. In this case we had students learn Tableau data visualization program and use data related to the online module to create dashboards.

climate03

We could have made some nice graphics for the old Climate Literacy website and called it a day. But that’s not really instructional design. Instructional design is an evolving iterative process that takes the combined efforts of designers, professors, lab instructors, program directors, etc. To get it right you have to experiment and make adjustments. We’ve finished the first Climate Lab pilot (big shout out to Dr. Diem and all the Lab Instructors for helping to make it happen) but we have plenty to discuss about moving forward. The design process is far from over.

Posted in #trending
13 comments on “Instructional Innovation on Campus: Climate Literacy Labs
  1. bayu ramdan says:

obviously useful and share your friend ..

2. iuioi says:

Like to seen this online blog here it was the update for need you play here free vbucks so thanks for this post online hope you like it

3. Mateo An says:

I had great experience with these literacy labs on innovation. The custom dissertation offers some amazing service for helpful content. You can also download these sample questions is a PDF form.

4. Pinare says:

Technological advancements are great for all industries, including pet medicine. A wide variety of drugs you see on UK Pet Drugs are highly-complicated genuine recipes that are hard to produce. That’s what makes them so effective in treating our pets’ illnesses and diseases.

5. Elijah Noah says:

You are new to higher education and you will adjust yourself in that education system with time. All you need to do is keep going to https://www.meldium.com/how-to-become-a-professional-content-writer/ and you might face uncomfortable somewhere on the first go. You got the chance to access the climate Literacy Labs for the first time and it might be a lifetime experience for you to have.

6. Diego says:

Thank you for posting that it could be just the thing to give inspiration to someone who needs it! Keep up the great work!

https://kabosucoin.net/

7. abeeni says:

Advance Restoration in Leesburg VA
    Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

8. clair filip says:

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information…
    Carpet Cleaning Crofton MD

9. Dawn says:

If you are Salesforce Certified B2B Commerce Developer exam student and trying to improve your career opportunities, then you must consider DumpsMate Salesforce B2B-Commerce-Developer questions answers dumps. We are providing multiple B2B-Commerce-Developer test products that will help the professionals to pass B2B-Commerce-Developer exam in a single attempt. If you hardly find any time to prepare for the B2B-Commerce-Developer exam, then you should go through our B2B-Commerce-Developer cheat sheets created by our experts. It will take less time for you to prepare for the B2B-Commerce-Developer exam and you can easily pass the exam in a single attempt. We have a strong customer base and we provide 100% money back guarantee on all the products.

10. John Micson says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! Upholstery Cleaning Brookline MA

11. ben stokes says:

This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!.
    Heavy Items Moving DUBLIN CA

12. Apartment Movers Brighton MI says:

Please share more like that. Apartment Movers Brighton MI

13. John Micson says:

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts. Steam Cleaning Home Service in Norfolk VA