A+A>A?: The Ever-Evolving Intergalactic Saga of the ebook Market

In case you hadn’t been paying attention (which is entirely understandable – you’re a human, with actual lives, families, hopes, dreams and whatnot – unlike us in the Exchange that live, breathe, and sleep virtually), the eBook market has been fraught with drama for the past few years. Amazon basically dominates the book market, but a few years back Apple and the major book publishing companies were found guilty of price fixing in an attempt to wrestle control from Amazon. Apple is appealing this decision because what was described in the trial as “the agency model” which Apple created with the publishers, has long been known as the iTunes pricing model. It’s the way that Apple has always shared revenue with the music industry and with developers of apps – Apple let’s companies set prices and they take 30%. It wasn’t a new model with books, so Apple will argue, how could it be collusion?

My colleague, and Student Innovation Fellow, Jon Ciliberto (say it out loud, you’ll appreciate his name even more) recently wrote about how authors are responding to Amazon’s strong-arming the publisher Hachette into accepting certain pricing terms. These authors, including some of the most influential writers of our time, are calling for the DOJ to investigate the monopolistic practices of Amazon.

DRA-MA!!!!

This brings us to this week. In a series of events that can in no way be called coincidental, Adobe and Apple both released updates to their ebook creation tools that just so happen to make it easier for publishers to move from print, to standards compliant interactive epubs, to the iBooks format, with functionality that moves seamlessly from format to format. This will make standard ebooks much more functional, while at the same time making it much easier for the print industry to supply books to the Apple iBooks store. Where Adobe and Apple have an on-again off-again relationship, it does appear that they worked together on this effort to more effectively compete with Amazon. Apple basically created the modern interactive ebook with iBooks Author, and Adobe benefits from Apple’s expertise in building interactive books. On the other hand, Adobe owns the print book market with their layout tool InDesign, and so Apple benefits from a quick import of InDesign files. Adobe released their update with interactive features that match most of the interactive tools in iBooks Author, as well as some new hyperlinking options. Apple then released an update to iBooks Author that, amazingly, imports the new InDesign format, coincidentally also includes new hyperlinking options, and also includes the ability to import standard epubs. So, new Adobe features that sound very Apple, and new Apple features that support the brand-new Adobe format, and they both get new hyperlinking ability.

For consumers and independent creators, this is great news. Everyone has worried about the walled-garden of Apple, and this makes them a better player in the larger market, and everyone has been disappointed about how slow Adobe has been in supporting ebooks, and this helps them create better ebooks. Win! ….that this partnership in no way benefits Amazon, means that if Amazon wants to continue to own the market, they are going to have to get into the content creation game – with more consumer-friendly tools for creating kindle books, or <gasp> perhaps an embrace of standards compliant formats like epub. If they don’t try to compete, how long can they ride on just consumer lock-in? Could the combo of (A)pple plus (A)dobe, become a more powerful force than (A)mazon? Who knows, but for everyone out there that wants to create or read ebooks, the market just got a lot more interesting!

Posted in Interwebs
14 comments on “A+A>A?: The Ever-Evolving Intergalactic Saga of the ebook Market
  1. vrobin1@gsu.edu says:

This is pretty interesting and (dare I say) exciting. A couple months ago I would have had a different opinion as a pretty strictly PC user. But since we’ve been using iBooks Author, I’m having the benefit of being able to see the advantages of all our devices a lot more clearly. Thanks for writing this!

2. IsadoraHalcyon says:

Recherchez et installez facilement plus de sonneries de téléphone gratuites ici.

3. SiegfriedOrson says:

Aktualisierte Liste der vollständig seriösen Klingeltöne mit Inhalten, die von vielen Personen auf der Website verwendet werden klingeltöne samsung

4. Julian says:

Expand my knowledge and abilities. Actually the article is very real.

5. Finn Haydon says:

Such pioneering training camps are the inspiration for the work holders to redirect their brains towards the business. Business consistently prompts getting research paper writing help for high incomes and benefits in a, particularly successful manner. So stay roused about it.

6. john micson says:

I haven’t any word to appreciate this post…..Really i am impressed from this post….the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    Key Duplication Forestville MD

7. frederickgragg says:

I like DumpsMate customer supports they help me to restore my PC while I am studying my certification exams, https://www.dumpsmate.com/AZ-600-exam.html provides authentic IT Certification exams preparation material guaranteed to make you pass in the first attempt.

Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points!
    Dryer Vent Cleaning Elkridge MD

9. jamaima cyrus says:

It is nice to read this news, but I already knew about this. And I came to know about it a few days ago when I was digging for online Dissertation methodology writing help0020 and it just pops out through an ad. And being an avid reader, this just straight gave me butterflies. I can’t wait to use them. Thank You anyways, for sharing!

10. Online Exam Help says:

Hi! It’s been great learning from you! Thanks for sharing! Several important points have been raised!
    Having searched for Online Exam Help, I came across this news. The information I gained from this was amazing. I can’t wait to put them to use. Anyway, thank you for sharing!

You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views…hope more people will read this article!!! Floor Cleaning Brookline MA

hello!! Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community.
    Long Distance DUBLIN CA

13. Dewey Sherman says:

Thank you for sharing, great article. I am using spotify premium apk 2021 to listen to high quality songs and with the largest music store in the world today.

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. Black Car Service Raleigh NC