water, water everywhere….

A common problem in the world of technology, not just among educators, is the overwhelming sense that there are too many tools. We are constantly bombarded with more options about how to create a presentation, how to edit your photos, how to format your text, how to share your creations, how to blah, blah, blah, blah….OMG I JUST WANTED TO MAKE MY LIFE SIMPLER!!!

When we talk to people about this, they often assume that somehow we are immune from these pressures or have figured out how to navigate them. Please, let me assure you that the only thing we have learned is that the overwhelming nature of it is perfectly normal. The overwhelming nature of the technology production cycle is, in highly technical terms that are sure to also be overwhelming, hype. Call it bluster if you must, but hype is as much a constant in the tech market as is GHz. It’s such a persistent issue that analyst house Gartner produces a yearly Hype Cycle, with a specified pattern that hype follows. Hopefully seeing it will help you feel less overwhelmed too (granted, you’ll feel overwhelmed seeing all this compressed data, but it’s the argument that should alleviate your general anxiety).

a very detailed graph showing the hype cycle

What I think that this graph makes clear (aside from the fact that machine-to-machine communication services are rapidly approaching the bottom of the trough of disillusionment), is that many of the technological trends over the past few years are proving themselves not as helpful as they initially promised to be. This isn’t to say that Gamification won’t survive the Trough of Disillusionment and rise again in the Slope of Enlightenment, it’s just to say that the current state of the technology to create compelling gamified course content is such that people are finding that it’s harder than expected to make it work. People are frustrated with the current tools to make it happen.

In the end, what it reminds me is that technology isn’t magic, and there won’t suddenly be rainbows and gum drops flowing from my content if I use the newest and best technology out there, because for the most part, that’s all just hype.

There’s another thing that I think is an important takeaway from this hype cycle. You’ll notice nowhere on this do you see anything about Quality Content, or Visual Design, Amazing Experience. This is because these things aren’t hype. They’re the fundamentals on which all quality learning experiences are built upon. The best ways to improve your content always relate to these things: clear writing, clear organization, uncluttered design, beautiful images. Ask any of your friendly CII staff members, and more often than not, we’ll stick to a few simple tools to create many things, as opposed to using tons of tools that only reach a niche audience. Personally, I use Apple’s Keynote for presentations (and some simple photo and shape editing); Sketch for icons and vector images; Hype for HTML & animations; Pages for word processing; and either Photoshop or Pixelmator for photo editing and compositing. I use a number of other programs for special projects, and learn far more programs on a regular basis, but these are the programs that are almost always open on my machine. With these tools, I try to get the simplest tools to build the most compelling content I can, but the focus is always on content. Hopefully, then I can understand that hype, where a necessary part of the technology market, is just a fun diversion from my usual practice of using tools that simplify my workflow. If you’re looking for help in finding simple tools to accomplish your task, feel free to get in touch with us. Perhaps we can help you see through the hype to find the best solution for your long-term use.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Interwebs, The Exchange
19 comments on “water, water everywhere….
  1. Write My Research Paper Online says:

You can leave all the stressful work to us so that we handle it for you and assure you of delivering excellent write my research paper online service to you all the time.
    https://researchpapers247.com/

2. Toyor Elgana says:

thanks for sharing this post.
    شركة تنظيف بالدمام

3. Trent Boult says:

Very informative post. Thanks for share it
    dc compressor fridge freezer

4. Rodolfo Bennett says:

Sorry, I can’t give good suggestions about computer videos. Because It’s very difficult for me, But for a good corporate video production process, I can do meeting a good company. I hope so, Then You will like this video production company and Will good business relations for the future.

5. gustavowoltmann says:

I agree with your thoughts. Do you need any Yoga Teacher? Try Gustavo Woltmann.

6. fff says:

i am new

7. gustavo woltmann says:

i am new

8. kaira micky says:

To keep you and your property safe, we offer the best residential locksmith services in Oxon Hill MD at affordable rates. Our residential locksmith services include emergency house lockout services, lock replacement, lock repair, new lock installation, door lock services, mailbox lock services, garage door lock services, rekeying, and key duplication services.
    Residential Locksmith Oxon Hill MD

9. junior larrison says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!
    Residential Locksmith Forestville MD

10. hassan cmt says:

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future…
    Vehicle Lockout Forestville MD

11. johhny lana rose says:

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
    Auto Transport Services in Fairfax VA

12. Rosie says:

Delivery Services in Fairfax VA

13. Rosie says:

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Moving Fairfax VA

14. clair filip says:

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    Sofa Cleaning Elkridge MD

15. ben stokes says:

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
    Large Items Moving CUPERTINO CA

16. John Micson says:

Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can’t afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet! Germs Removal Brookline MA

17. ben stokes says:

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.
    Long Distance San Francisco CA

18. John Micson says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Limousine Service Hillsborough NC

19. John Micson says:

Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. Black Car Service Wake Forest NC