Cool Tools: Word Lens

Folks who have attended our seminar on Teaching with iPads have heard me talk about the major benefits of mobile devices and how they relate to learning. Particularly, the characteristics include:

• Location awareness
  • Remote engagement
  • Continuous updates
  • Collaborative
  • Creative
  • Informative
  • Organizational

These add up to a just-in-time information juggernaut! All info, all creative, all connected, all the time! (but not in the creepy way….we’re looking at you advertisers!) Just-in-time computing derives its name from Just-in-time production methods for manufacturing, where you build only what you need at the time. In this way, a just-in-time computing model gives you just the information you need at the moment you need it. Where this is a great computing model that can augment any learning process (and we’d love to talk more about, if you want to incorporate it into your class), it often times takes an example to show its value.

Enter Word Lens. This free (for now) app was recently acquired by Google, but provides some incredibly advanced tools for real-time visual language translation (Non-nerd speak translation: point your phone [or Google Glass, which I suppose just means, look] at a sign written in a foreign language and Word Lens will translate it into the language of your choosing). It’s the science-fiction world you were promised so many moons ago! Have a look at a before and after shot provided from their iPhone app page:

a bunch of Russian that I can't understand after_WordLens_screen568x568

You can look at this in two ways: this is really cool technology that is specific to the world of language translation, OR the possibilities that this sort of technology opens up are astounding! How far do you think we are from a world where someone could look at a multiple choice test, and Siri or Google Now could automatically fill in the correct answer on a display contained on a pair of glasses, or even a contact lens. That’s the difficult classroom problem, but on the plus side, think of how you could build tools to affect the world in a similar way. With computing power like this in a mobile device, you have to believe that the content creation capabilities are there too. Let’s see how we can build this together.

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Cool Tools, The Exchange
19 comments on “Cool Tools: Word Lens
  1. Mike Erickson says:

Informative article about the benefits of mobile devices and how they relate to learning, mobile users must aware of the quality use of their device instead of wasting time doing useless stuff I believe. Let me write my assignment for me AU 1 and I will share this article with my friends who need to know this too. Thanks for posting

2. micheal gibson says:

Thanks for share a wonderful post.
    printing machine supplier

3. jinnu says:

Informative article about the benefits of mobile devices and how they relate to learning, mobile users must aware of the quality use of their device instead of wasting time doing useless stuff I believe. https://www.quickpayportal.pro/

4. zhina says:

خرید آپارتمان در تهران میتواند بهترین سرمایه گذاری در این زمان باشد

5. emma william says:

It creates the best feeling to give fresh thinking to the people. The blog is important for people because They give many suggestions and ideas to solve problems. wealth app is the finest and new type of brilliant app in which you can make your budget.

6. john micson says:

If you are a business owner and looking to provide security to your business, then you need professional commercial locksmith services. Thompson Lock & Key LLC offers the most trusted commercial locksmith services in Oxon Hill MD. Our commercial locksmith services include commercial lock installation, commercial lock repair & replacement, lock rekeying services, emergency commercial lockout services, master key services, and more.
    Commercial Locksmith Oxon Hill MD

7. Larry Walters says:

very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post!
    Automotive Locksmith Forestville MD

8. Smith says:

Nice to see your post because you did really good work. keep posting.

Visit here https://thenovaclinic.com/services/dmk-enzyme-therapy-facial/ DMK enzyme therapy

9. Rosie says:

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
    local moving companies Fairfax VA

10. Rosie says:

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Junk Removal Services Fairfax VA

11. Damon Paul says:

Thanks for sharing!!!

https://www.fotpresearch.com/

12. clair filip says:

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine.
    Water Extraction Elkridge MD

13. riribejjagaxo says:

Kay Jewelers Feedback Survey is an online feedback program created by Kay Jewelers that helps the chain to improve customer satisfaction.SurveyKay aims to get honest feedback and reviews from their customer’s visit experience.

14. ben stokes says:

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
    Piano Moving San CUPERTINO CA

15. ben stokes says:

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.
    Unpacking Services San Francisco CA

16. John Micson says:

If you are looking for a heating and air conditioning company in the Tulsa County area, Our professional technicians can help you select, install, and maintain equipment to assure efficiency, reliability, and comfort over the lifetime of your products Germs Removal Quincy MA

17. kafrasen says:

Thanks for sharing.I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one.

https://www.firstcallonline.net/

18. John Micson says:

Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. Tile & Grout Cleaning Service in Norfolk VA

19. John Micson says:

You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Private Transportation Bellevue WA