In the above link, there is a job posting that is realistic for the offerings for my degree once I graduate. The buzz words that I should keep in mind are:
- Dedication to improving craft (mention high GPA)
- experience in collaborative work
- experience creating materials for outside companies
Our House Project Q&A: With this section, I felt the most lost before this meeting. Every other group seems to have a very clear idea of what they’re doing– and actively working on those deliverables. I was worried that we may not have control over what we can do in a short time frame.
- “Our Client still has not responded with a direction for our deliverable, what should we do to facilitate this?”
- Have your email coordinator email them with suggestions of what you believe will help them the most with the feedback you have received. Suggested project topics: signage for the rooms and activity centers to remind residents of policies, ect; Recommendation Report compiling research into a efficiently organized booklet to help communicate needs and interests to commercial entities.
Potential Career Q&A: I have been reflecting on my enjoyment of our readings and projects and have decided to venture into this career field. However, I could not find any useful data or listings with job titles or requirements.
- “What is this style of field called in help ads?”
- Content/Knowledge Manager
- Copy Writing (More Writing centered)
- Communication Design
- Public Relations
- “What can I do to prepare for that field?”
- Code Academy (CSS/ HTML)
This Week’s Expectations: Here, I just wanted to clarify what was expected to be turned in this week and how I can do it all.
- Annotations 3&4: 10/12 Midnight
- Midterm Reflection/ Meeting Notes Thursday
- Presentation Reflection Post: Thursday
- What you gave to the client
- Your presentation (ppt)
- Reflection on your project thus far.
Rhetorical Situation: Pitch
- Interested, engaged with topic and audience
- Responsive to feedback
- Student (understood learning Curve)
- Client Approval
- Client Feedback/critique
- Client expecatation clarification or confirmation
- Building group cohesion
- Sell your work/ideas
- Learning to give presentations
- Working through process with client
- Learn to take critique effectively
- Non Profit Representatives
- Audience for deliverable(s)
- End Users
- Dr. Wharton
- Each Presenter in the group has a max of 5 Minutes
- No more than 30 seconds a slide
- 5-10 (max) slides
- Think about your message beyond written information
- Could do a group-wide presentation
- Grading/Review Focus
- Quality of Presentation Values
Why Service learning?
- Authenticity in Learning experience
- Community impact through service
- Multifaceted Networking
- Community-based relationship (gaining the lay of the land experience)
- Perspective interaction
- Connecting the Community and University, allowing a relationship between the two
What’s at Stake with Service Learning?
- Portfolio Additions
- Reference opportunity
- Learn professional adaption
- Increased value of Georgia State experience and degree
- Perception of Georgia State increases with professional community
- Could cultivate a preference for Georgia State applicants for internships and/or jobs
- Potential to find passion
- Job potential
- English degree value increases
- Potential leads to future job or internship
What to Ask During Your Initial Project Meeting
- What do you do?
- What services do you provide?
- What do you sell?
- What would you consider your target demographic?
- Who do you serve?
- What cultural or political issues do we need to be aware of?
- Do we need to be more aware of disability or access accommodations with our project?
- What do you do well already? What would you wish to improve?
- What new channels of communication have worked for you? What has not worked in the past?
- Any interest in revisiting any of these avenues?
- What are your short-term or long-term goals? How would you like to see these reflected in the project?
- What do you think correlates with these goals?
- What do you have already established?
- Do you have examples of what you are looking for?
- Are there any examples of your goal vision?
- Would segmenting your audience be ideal for your goals?
- Any particular things you believe emulates your company and goals?
Brief Notes on Pitch and Group Plans:
Make ideas separately to create a variety of options for the client, several options may be chosen or melded together.