The Embassy of Cambodia

I really ejoyed this story, particularly the perspective shifts and how the story showed the separation of classes. At first I was confused by the recurring badminton game and Fatou’s fascination with it but by the end I realized the shuttlecock was the only thing you could see over the high embassy wall–the only thing Fatou could see of the high class residents behind the wall. I liked when the story switched to first person to span out from the story of Fatou to show us a bigger picture because I thought it gave more impact to when things were switched back to third and following Fatou. It’s an interesting strategy because normally first person would be used for the closer perspective but the switch of the usual really works for this story. Plot-wise I thought it was heartbreaking that Fatou didn’t consider herself a slave because she had minor freedoms, and ultimately the Derawal family fired her because she saved their child and felt some sort of guilt in continuing to enslave her. I think I missed some key aspects of the story because I don’t know the history behind Cambodia so I’ll be interested to research that further.