Mysterious Kôr, Day 5, Cashwell

We had one hell of a discussion today! I think everything we talked about really sank in because of the crazy dreams I had when I got back to my room! The craft elements that were used in “Mysterious Kôr” really pulled me in. For example, I really enjoyed the use of second person in the beginning of the story because it gave me the feeling that the narrator actually experienced the story first-hand, which made it more believable and put me right there in the story. The dialogue was also great because it was as if Pepita was relaying a story about Kôr. It felt like she was using the story as a way of entertainment and escaping the darkness of London, but she was also creating an analogy between London and Kôr. “..a completely forsaken city, as high as cliffs and as white as bones, with no history.” (P. 198) I love the life she gives the moon as well. It’s as if the moon is a god and controls their behavior, which in a way it did because at night, if there was enough moonlight, then the soldiers could drop bombs easily because they could see the ground better.  “Yes, I was so glad you had the moon.” “Why? There was too much of it.” (P. 208) So in this case, making the moon a dictator makes complete sense and goes along with the context. I found it clever to describe Arthur and Pepita as a “collision in the dark” because that is exactly what it’s like when love sneaks up on you from a person you never even noticed. This story is full of beautiful lines and it is most certainly prose poetry. I’ll end with my favorite line in the story:

“From then on she felt welcome beginning to wither in her, a flower of the heart that had bloomed too early.” (P. 202)