Project 2

Part 1:

Purpose: This assignment taught me to use all the spaces of the paper working with negative and positive space to maintain an understanding of the shapes formed itself or altogether.

Composing Space with Tension

#1 Compression

In this project I had to find a picture in a magazine and select 5-7 shapes and cut it out to make 3 different compositions. For the first one I had to make a compression using the 7 shapes of the black cutouts. For the second one I had to make a positive switcheroo using black ink. The last piece I had to do was glue the cutouts and figure out how to direct the viewers eyes.

For the first composition, I had two ideas and the one I ended up choosing was some sort of dinosaur wearing a crown that is being attacked. I wanted the picture to be simple as I thought it was a good idea to place the black cutouts mostly in the center. For the second one, I had 5 shapes repeating in different directions. The difficult part is how to make a positive and negative space view interchangeable. For the final paper, I tried to put the cutouts together to make a picture instead I got a bench with a tree cutout and a house which I was not expecting.

Part 2:

Shadow Puppets

For this project, I had to choose a fairy tale and write a modern story that was supposed to have all the elements of a story and compose it. This requires storyboarding and drawing the characters and settings and even finding some noise effects to make it more engaging.

At first, I chose to do the little mermaid but changed my mind and decided to go for beauty and the beast. The reason for this is I wanted my story to focus on the mental state of someone who mostly works. When figuring out the characters and the settings I then wrote the story and then storyboard with some dialogue. After finishing I began to draw the characters who were Belle, the beast, and the therapist which were cut out using black paper. After this, I edited the story some more and added a bird in the final scenes to show the resolution of the scene with Belle. After checking the scenes, I did a final revision of the dialogue which required creativity and time as this highlighted what the story is about. Then I had to wrap it up by finding some background noises and practicing the story with my puppets.

Written by: