El Ultimo Dia en Sosua

“Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You’ll find what you need to furnish it – memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way, it will go with you wherever you journey.” As I have explored throughout the city, I felt pieces of home all around. I have a deep love of art and basketball, and when I found a gym walking distance that had a court inside, I was ecstatic. Being able to explore the complexities of the Mundo King Art Museum was a treat as well. I was captivated by the “off the wall” art that challenged how I looked at art. I learned later that the artist, Rolf Schulz, moved to the DR in the 1990s and created the castle and resided there without electricity or running water until he died in 2018. 

Once again Pounce was the life of the party and was super excited to attend our going away party at IIC. There was plenty of good people, good music, and great pork chops! After a night of funs and friends Pounce takes a final look at the Hotel he’s known as home for the last week ready to head back to Atlanta. 

Sunset is one of the most relaxing sights to see, and I’ve rarely seen as beautiful as the beach in Sosua. As our journey in the Dominican Republic completes, this is far from the end. The experiences that we have shared throughout this trip has brought about new friendships and a lifelong memory. I’m sure this will not be the last time someone from our cohort touches the beaches of the Dominican Republic or positively impacts the community. Same as Pounce we are off to our next chapter of life and thank the Dominican Republic for everything it has taught us!

Hoops in the DR