Doña Chucha

Working with the girls from Hogar Escuela de Niñas Doña Chucha has been the most satisfying thing I have done on this trip so far.

These are very bright kids who are environmentally conscious, can discuss microscopic organisms and germs, and can count to ten in English. When we think about public health, we have to keep our children in mind. Teaching young kids the importance of being responsible with their environment is vital to the future of our ecosystem as a whole, and especially for a city like Santo Domingo. Learning about these things at an age where children are most impressionable can help form positive habits. The same can be said for teaching our children public health. The key to public health is prevention. Teaching the children something as simple as how to cough can prevent the spread of germs. I showed the kids English. Bilingual people are capable of communicating with persons from around the globe as well as increase job opportunities.

Departing from the girls at Doña Chucha was not easy! Over the two days that I worked with them, we grew attached. One of the girls told me I reminded me of her mother. Another cried and asked me when I was coming back. And they were so adorable. I enjoyed working with them and learning from them. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country. Sure it is lovely to be able to take in these beautiful sights, take in their culture, food, and their way of life. But to give something resourceful back into the community is even more satisfying.

I am looking forward to the next service learning opportunity at Esperanza.