I have been able to meet many of the other SIFs at the various meetings I have attended so far, but as I will likely be working across several of the groups, I thought it appropriate for my first post here to be an introduction of myself and what I hope to give and get from the program.

I am a designer, art director and visual journalist with over 18 years experience. The majority of those years have been spent working with journalistic organizations – with periodic forays with ad agencies, startups, and the financial sector –  including a recent 8-year stint at CNN. I matriculated into the MFA Graphic Design program in the fall of 2014 and am now in the middle of the second year of the three-year program. Through my professional experience I have become adept at designing  for traditional and digital media – developing expertise in typography, composition, data visualization & information graphics, visual storytelling, data analysis, UX design, motion graphics, animation, information architecture, branding, interaction design, illustration, mobile app design, and more. I hope that this broad base of skills will prove valuable to the various projects within the SIF program, and I look forward to beginning my full contributions very soon.

The biggest immediate improvements I would like to achieve is bringing a more lively, cohesive and modern feel to the main SIF site. In so doing I hope to help create a “branding” framework and visual vocabulary that can be carried throughout the whole portfolio of SIF project sites and presentations. As I have spent time looking around at how the different SIF projects are presented, I have come to realize how diverse the group of projects it is. With this diversity there is also a wide variety of presentation needs and requirements. I hope to be able to start working on individual project needs soon, but in doing my preliminary overview analysis I believe there are common needs between all of the sites/presentations: ability to easily navigate between projects; a common visual vocabulary (color, typography, etc.); formalization of how similar elements are styled (lists, tables, block quotes, etc.), etc.

My first tasks are advising on some basic improvements to the main SIF blog and to providing design direction for the forthcoming EDGE launch. However, I look forward to working on as many of the projects and with as many of you as possible. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or would like to discuss design or project needs (or books, music, tennis, baseball, electromagnetism, pedagogy, cycling ….).

Select professional and freelance projects:

marshall_islands

Marines.com archived site

CNN’s The Undecided

For more, visit my portfolio at bryanperry.com