Online Professional Profile Reflection

Making this website as my professional profile was definitely a learning experience. The hardest part was probably making the menu tabs act right. For example, it took me a while to be able to have them drop down when hovered over, but I like how they turned out. Every post I have is in an appropriate place under the tabs and that makes it easy to navigate the site. I also use a lot of links throughout my posts to explain things/ give useful background information, which I think is helpful for people coming to my site.

I like the section of this website dedicated to documenting my html learning process-the “HTML Learning Adventure” tab.  I plan on continuing to post there as I go through Duckett’s text, as it is, I am proud of what I have managed to learn about html, having started with zero knowledge of it. Eventually, I would like to create my own professional website from scratch (rather than by using WordPress) which will probably have some of the same posts from this website for example my service learning project but more customized.

In terms of design choices for this  website, I made sure I used images that were free use and did not require attribution. In terms of colors I chose the blue background because I remember this article by Thomas R. Williams we read in ENGL 3110 said that a blue is a good choice for a background because of how human eyes work blue looks further away and it contrasts with the foreground images/texts making them easier to read. And I chose the green for the header because, well, I like green.

Creating this profile also made me realize how I need to improve in certain areas. For example, my professional social media presence could use a little work, however, in the social media tab I do explain steps that I will tak to improve this so I am confident that I can better my social media presence. Another aspect of my professional presence that needs improvement is my portfolio. So far I have the service learning project under my belt, which is great but I need to work on adding to my portfolio. I think learning html will help me with this as I can create websites or improve them and show my work in a portfolio.

Overall, I think this website is a good start for an online professional presence. I learned a lot making it and will continue to add to it in the future as my skill set grows.