New Beginnings

• So much has happened during my first week at Georgia State University, from starting class and learning my way around the urban campus to meeting loads of new and interesting people to having the amazing opportunity to be an SIF. This week has been a start my research at CURVE. First and foremost I spent most of my time attempting to acclimate myself to all that the CURVE center has to offer. This includes attending the CURVE orientation with Mandy and discussing all the possibilities that CURVE has to offer, researching interesting projects to work on, and looking into workshops to  I am looking forward to working with CURVE’s brand new technology and learning new ways to incorporate it into students’ and faculty’s academic and research endeavors.
  • While at CURVE, I will have the privilege of working on a project that incorporates 3D scanning and modeling. When deciding which project to immerse myself in this season, I visited the exchange where they house the 3D scanner. I was able to see the models that were made which included a Darth Vader action figure and a Storm Trooper pencil and pen holder. I found this incredibly fascinating and researched what exactly a 3D scanner was and how it worked. A 3D scanner is a device that examines a tangible, real world object or even an environment to gather information on its shape and appearance which can then be used to build 3D models. This is interesting and very useful in many aspects. 3D scanners are used in the construction industry, civil engineering, design process,  the scanning of artifacts and historical sites, and even the entertainment business. In conclusion, I still have much to learn and experiment during my time as a SIF, but I am excited and ready to begin work on such an innovative project.