CalArts

David Jeffries 

3/7/22 

Weaver 

EngL 

The California Institute of the arts (CalArts) is interested in a rather unique student. This institute desires culturally diverse students that are interested in a multitude of art forms and who desire creative freedom. The CalArts website uses the strategy of audience to appeal to their ideal student while imagining their ideal readers. 

The California Institute of the arts has a well put together website that does a great job at persuading its readers to applying. The website does this by using a multitude of different writing strategies to make the articles appealing while providing information readers are most interested in. CalArts is in a constant state of speaking to their ideal reader. The website formats itself in ways that would appeal to likeminded people, trying its best to reach those that would be a good fit for CalArts. Another strategy the CalArts uses is keeping a well-defined constant tone throughout the entire website. It uses enthusiastic language choices and speaks confidently about what it has to offer. CalArts is fully invested in what it has to offer for its students and will strongly influence anyone who decides to read this website. These two strategies work together hand and hand to create an effective persuasive and informative website. 

An Cal Arts ideal student is one that seeks a nonjudgmental realm of creativity where they are motivated by their environment to not only to create to the best of their ability but simultaneously be motivated by their environment to try new things and open their mind. CalArts preaches creative freedom and a multidisciplinary community , so now readers who weigh those values heavily while favoring this college options more than others (CalArts,1). Another way CalArts imagines its ideal reader is with the structure of the website. The front page of the website is constructed with a few of its programs being one of the first things the reader sees. This shows that art, critical studies, dance, film/video, music, and theater are CalArts’ most prominent and major programs. 

Another strategy the website incorporates is tone. This Website speaks in a very confident and excited tone like, they can’t wait to show what they have to offer to their students. In turn the readers will become excited and trust that this college will deliver in what it says it has to offer. The website does this by using never use words or phrases like “probably,” “maybe, “or “you’ll may”, because this would make the reader feel like CalArts is uncertain in the information the website is providing. The Website is instead speaks in certainties and speaks like they know for a fact that this college is the perfect place for the reader to apply to. The CalArts states in the academic’s section that “CalArts offers a variety of unique programs at the undergraduate and graduate level within its six world-renowned Schools” (CalArts,1). Readers can just sense the excitement seeping through language like “world renowned”, and unique programs”. This excitement is contagious and transfers immediately to the readers. Sections of the Cal arts website like this leave a very positive impression on readers. 

Writing strategies have been used for a long while to increase the effectiveness of persuasive and argumentative writing. This website is a notable example of how well used writing strategies help elevate any persuasion; they were used to fullest extent successfully. The website uses writing strategies like this over the course of many years to persuade students to apply to this college and will continue to do to. Strategies like such are infinitely valuable to writing and will continue to add value to not only college websites but anywhere where a written information is to be held. 

If I were able to apply and be accepted into any college It would easily, be the California institute of the arts. This school heavily pushes creative freedom while simultaneously constantly influencing its students to experiment with different things creatively. With my goal to one day to become an animated tv show runner, learning to aptly experiment with different ideas and cultivate a mindset of bound-less creativity is very important. I know CalArts would push me in the right direction to accomplish this goal. I have always loved to try new things creatively but sometimes I tend to be a little reluctant and I feel like this institution would always point me back in the right direction. I know this the school greatly values persistence and always have I. Persistence is a core value I was raised on and attending a college that also holds this as a core value would be exceptionally accommodating. I feel as that accommodating your students is an especially important core aspect of any college and CalArts is no stranger to this. CalArts values large scale diversity and is very inclusive. CalArts exhibits this in its extensive list of student services, wellness groups, and other organizations, such as CARE teams, Mentor programs etc. With me being a black male, it is important for me to tend an intuition where I feel wanted, With CalArts falling in line with so many of my values while making me feel wanted I would definitely choose to attend this institution if given the opportunity too. 

CalArts.”calarts.edu”. 3/7/22, https://calarts.edu/. This image requires alt text, but the alt text is currently blank. Either add alt text or mark the image as decorative.