Edward Parker Helms Academic Profile

The subject of my “interview” is Edward Parker Helms (Ed Helms) who was born on January 24, 1974, in Atlanta, Georgia. He is an actor who is most recognized for his comedy roles. He began his career as a stand-up comedian and writer after enrolling at Oberlin College in Ohio and going on to earn a B.A (Bachelor of Arts degree) in 1996 in film theory and technology. Furthermore, he also

started recording voice-over snippets, which inspired him to chase an acting career. The television programs ‘The Daily Show,’ ‘The Office,’ and the movie trilogy ‘The Hangover,’ are among his most well-known works.  

In his speech, he mentioned overcoming his obstacles and fears and learning how to analyze those fears gave him that amazing opportunity that he’d been searching for this whole time. “But to understand why fear is a good. One has to stop viewing fear as a feeling emotion or behavioral command and start looking at it simply as information.” (Helms) Ed used that fear to explore his curiosity even further. He described it almost as a “spirit guide” that had helped him move into the right path; this can also be applied to a student. Whether it be having that fear of failing a class or getting a bad grade on an exam, those fears should be a motivation to do better and try harder. “And just as before, fear actually helped me out. I had recordings of those stand-up sets and I was terrified to listen to them, but I did, and I heard the subtlest variations in my timing. I heard noise in the room that changed energy, I heard details and I made adjustments and I got better, much better and I never would have if I hadn’t bombed in the first place and if fear wasn’t there to point out exactly where I needed to focus.” (Helms) Looking at this from a student’s point of view, recognizing what went wrong in an exam or assignment and going back to that material is one way that students can better and strengthen their insight. 

He also talks about how the first time that he wasn’t successful in his comedy act, he was hard on himself; telling himself that he was a “failure” and he humiliated himself. This can be interpreted as a student; getting bad grades takes a toll on individuals and wonder if any of the time put into studying was even worth it. Those bad grades can drag students down badly and it’s difficult to boost it once again.  

Life is all about learning and adjusting. I’ve learnt that failing could lead to prosperity, and I’m going to strive to use my “failures” to better my skills and knowledge. Using Ed’s example, I hope that fear becomes a spirit guide for me and pushes me to success. I also like how Ed makes jokes throughout his speech, creating a lighter environment for the students and administrators. It made me feel comfortable and at ease. 

Work Cited 

Editors, TheFamousPeople.com, E., 2022. Who is Ed Helms? Everything You Need to Know. [online] Thefamouspeople.com. Available at: <https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/ed-helms-29978.php> [Accessed 11 February 2022].  

Ed Helms Gives Knox 2013 Commencement Address. 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfP1AxPx1w  Galesburg, Illinois: Knox College.