Who is She? The Academic Profile of Mizaan Arshad

Mizaan Arshad is a student who brings a new meaning to the phrase, “study hard to study harder”.  From her dreams for the future to her biggest motivators, Mizaan gave me thoughtful and thorough answers to every question I asked her. You may be asking, ‘who is she?”, and “what’s so special about her responses?”, well, I’m about to tell you. Welcome to the Academic Profile of Mizaan Arshad.

Mizaan was bullied as a child and often spent time alone. She completed her work and participated in class, but she still felt uncomfortable. Eventually, Mizaan’s family decided to enroll her in an online school, where she would complete her high school coursework in only eight months.

When I asked her why she was motivated to finish so quickly, she responded, “When you’re younger, you’re more ambitious. You have more opportunities, and you have more time. I’m too young to work, and I’m too young to have other things to do, so I feel like I have more energy to put into my education and succeed.”

And succeed, she has. At only fifteen years old, Mizaan has joined Georgia State University’s Honors College. She works hard and has found many different motivations to move forward and receive an education.

The biggest motivator?

The life she says waits for her without education.

“I realize that I’m a minority in many different senses of the word. It’s hard keeping up with studying and assignments, but my background is what pushes me to keep going; it pushes me to prove to people that traditional life is not what I want and not how I have to live,” said Mizaan.

Mizaan has crafted her academic self under insurmountable pressures, and it shows. When I asked what the three words that described her academic self were, she told me that she picked Determined, Focused, and Isolated. These three descriptors are perfectly reflected in the beliefs she shared and the stories she told me during the interview.

Her focus shines through with her ability to complete meaningful work in less than half the time it takes traditionally; even as I write this, she works next to me, focused entirely on the task in front of her.

Her determination was revealed when I asked her about her college journey, specifically, where she would like to take this journey once she graduates with a degree in science.

“No matter what, I’ve told myself I’m going to an Ivy League. My major is undecided, but it will be something in STEM, definitely … I believe it’s super important to major in something that can go towards your career path,” says Mizaan.

Her Isolation shined through when I asked her how graduating so early influenced the development of her academic self. She answered with this explanation, “To me, my academic self doesn’t describe my social habits. It describes the mindset I bring to school and the purpose of why I’m here. I’m here to learn not to pursue social things. That’s my purpose.”

Not many people finish high school in such a short time, and while Mizaan is proud of this accomplishment, she also explained the downside of graduating so quickly. Her explanation led me to question if any of the class readings or videos helped her combat these struggles. She responded, “Dr. Chew’s ‘How to Study’ series has helped me to understand what I’m doing. It’s difficult keeping up with materials and class prep. This video series gave me a sort of roadmap and helped me get more confident in my time management and my study process.”

Dr. Chew’s study series contains advice that all students can utilize. It introduces methods like deep-level thinking and creating a productive study space. 

Mizaan has shown that she is ready and willing to do whatever she can to stay at the top of her game, but why? What pushes her to remain steadfast? Who builds her determination and helps her remember what awaits at the end of this journey?

When I asked Mizaan who her biggest influence was, she didn’t hesitate to answer, “My mother… she’s so hardworking even without an education. It’s so motivating living with someone who didn’t get the same opportunities yet still wants the best for you.”

Following this, I asked about her mentor, and just as quickly, she answered, “My aunt. She’s shown me how to stay organized, create my schedule, and the best ways to study. She doesn’t help me to be average; She helps me reach for the top and healthily achieve above-average success.”

Mizaan worked hard to get where she is, and the help of those around her has only fueled her resolve. When I asked her about the frustrations she held with college, she responded, “It’s honestly hard to think of any complaints since I’m so thankful to be here,” which is entirely understandable. 

Mizaan Arshad is an anomaly in the best way. She has worked hard to be where she is, and she is not afraid of what is laid before her. Why would she be? Her academic self continues to grow every day, and from this conversation alone, it was evident that the rest of her is growing with it. Determined, focused, Isolated; these words are what Mizaan used to describe her academic self, but let’s add one more: resilient.

Mizaan Arshad

Citation

Arshad, Mizaan. Interview. Conducted by Laila Thurman, 24 January 2022.

Chew, Stephen. “How to Study.” How to Get the Most Out of Studying, 25 Mar. 2015, https://www.samford.edu/departments/academic-success-center/how-to-study.