Glass Half Full, Please….with Ice

Saturday night our group had a celebration dinner that unofficially marked the end of our academic program here in Uganda.  This trip that I’ve been looking forward to for more than six months is almost over.  In a few days, we’ll fly back to the US, the group will disperse, and we’ll be back in our normal lives.  I have many emotions and feelings about leaving.  I’m excited to see my husband, my family, and my dogs.  I’ve missed them all.  I’m excited for air conditioning, ice, machine washed clothes, and not living out of a suitcase.  But, I’m saddened too about the end of this trip to Africa.  There is something about Africa that pulls me in.  It is said that all mankind originated in Africa.  Perhaps that’s the draw, or perhaps it’s the love of animals, or the landscapes, or the people and cultures.  I can’t pinpoint why I’m drawn here, but it’s at my core.  So leaving here, even though this trip isn’t my first to Africa and it won’t be my last, isn’t like the end of a vacation.  It’s so much more.  It’s leaving a place where you’re drawn to at the most basal level.

This study abroad trip has allowed to me learn and do so much more than I would have been able to do travelling here alone.  I’ve met so many wonderful people who try to and do so many wonderful things for their communities.  I’ve seen living and working conditions that I doubt I will be able to forget in my lifetime.  I’ve seen real struggle and heartache and resilience and joy and happiness in the people here.  We’ve seen and experienced so many things that most tourists will never experience here and I’m so grateful for these opportunities.

On this trip, I’ve learned to walk a little slower, like “my father’s cows are happy.”  I’ve realized I can survive without ice (but I’d rather not).  I’ve learned that African time and island time are the same and I’ve realized that sometimes being forced to go without internet access is actually a gift.

So when I’m back at home, with the people (and dogs) I love most, with the air-conditioning on and an ice-filled glass, I hope that this experience has changed me just a little bit.  I hope I remember the patience I’ve learned, remember to be a little more grateful, and most of all, remember that my happiness comes from within and can be found in any circumstance.