Dear John Lewis, My Thoughts on “March” So Far

Dear John Lewis,

Recently I have had the pleasure to start the third edition of your book, March. I have only read until page 18 but I must say that I am completely engrossed by the book so far. Let me summarize what I have read so far. The story starts off at the sixteenth street baptist church in Birmingham, Alabama where students are participating in Sunday school. Out of know where there was a sudden explosion from a bomb attack on the church. The bombing injured 21 kids and killed 4 little girls. Then we see a bunch of eagle scout kids with KKK association attack African American kids while chanting their unwillingness to integrate. Later you arrived at Birmingham and headed straight to the church, which served as headquarters for the civil rights movement in Birmingham. A funeral ceremony was held for the victims of the church bombing.

As I stated before, the beginning of this story had really caught my attention. The story makes feel sorry for the people that were affected by the Birmingham church bombing. It also made me feel angry towards the white supremacists that could conduct such terrorism. It’s hard to believe that kids so young are brainwashed and trained to conduct hateful acts against the African American community. Certain questions arise when reading this such as, why did the white supremacists feel it necessary to bomb the church? Obvious issues such as racism and hate crimes are displayed in the story.

As for the church bombing, the supremacists use this as a way to intimidate civil rights supporters and send their message regarding integration. Today racism and hate crimes are still a thing and I believe we can address this issue through promoting equality using mass media. We can also see to it that equality is assured in public policy.

Sincerely,

Uzzal Das