Mid-term Reflection

Terry Singh

Reading and writing in English 1102 has been a different experience than all my other English classes. I’m learning new things about writing every day that’s going to be used in the future. I realize that research, and being a great writer goes hand in hand with this class and that putting the work in; can get you the grade out. Many things in this class are changing the way that I do homework and assignments because it requires more than just second-hand knowledge. The benefits I’ve received from this class is that my composition process has evolved, I’ve learned my strengths and weaknesses in reading summaries, and best of all I have learned how I will incorporate everything I learn in this class in my future projects and assignments in this course.
Assignments in the class and the work that is required for this course are very diverse and different from most assignments I’ve ever had to do in college. The way that I do research has been somewhat fun, such as in the built environment descriptions; however, the reading summaries, on the other hand, are very long and take a vast amount of time to complete. the way that we are doing this process is different from when I had to read, does a thesis, do an outline, and then create my first and final drafts. Doing the composition process this way I have realized that I can comprehend the material better and take my time to create my final draft. Without the rush, pen and pencil, and the strictness of the topic; my ideas are easier to flow, and it makes the writing process a lot easier because lots of the topics are broad, and there isn’t a set answer that I have to find and follow. Contributing my thoughts and ideas to a blog post is a genius idea because now if everyone had a question like that, they could come to view their question.
Recently I was emailed a link to my summary analysis where I was shown what my strengths and weakness are. I realized that I have strength in my analysis where I did great on conveying the article in a summarized version. I need to; however, work on techniques for conveying the message a little clearer. I would sometimes get off track when I’m not supposed to. I have atrocious grammar issues and I have read first years guide to writing to help me better understand the techniques to write a well-written essay. Other bad techniques I need to master in writing are with transitions and combined paragraphs’ ideas. My strengths I believe I have been that I can comprehend a reading very quickly and easily, so that helps in creating my reading summaries and the other projects that are to be done this semester. For extra credit, I have answered many people’s questions on the SOS category, and I plan on doing more reading summaries when I get the chance.
According to the feedback given to me on my previous reading summaries; I’m going to make sure the message I’m conveying to the audience is clear and that they aren’t lost on what I’m speaking about. I’ll also have to start my readings a little earlier so that I can get a jump start on trying to comprehend the Scholarly Sources a little better.I believe that I have picked up Great study habits in this class due to the famous t of time you have to devote top the course. I’m going to bring this work ethic with me to other classes so that I can secure great grades and succeed in all my other courses. I’m also pretty sure that it just back to say that the work I put in gets me the grade out.