Georgia State University recognizes that it may be challenging for students and employees who use tobacco products to adhere to the campus smoking/tobacco-free policy. An integral component in maintaining this policy is the inclusion of tobacco cessation programs.
Georgia State University offers a variety of tobacco cessation campus programs free of charge to currently enrolled students, active employees, dependents, and retirees.
The University System of Georgia provides coverage for over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription smoking cessation products through the health care plans. It includes nicotine gum, lozenges and patches that are all available as OTC items as well as all prescription products like Chantix and Zyban. This is covered under the USG healthcare plans at a $0 co-pay amount for these smoking cessation products. All OTC smoking cessation products must have a prescription written from a physician in order to have the $0 co-pay. Contact your physician to see if any of these items are right for you.
To obtain information about tobacco-cessation programs and services for GSU faculty, staff, dependents and retirees provided by the Office of Employee Development and Wellness Services, please call 404-413-3342.
To obtain information about tobacco-cessation programs and services for GSU students provided by the Office of Student Health Promotion, please call 404-413-1577 or go to the following link –
Other resources that offer assistance to anyone desiring to quit using tobacco include:
- University System of Georgia: www.usg.edu/tobaccofree/
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov
- Smokefree.gov: www.smokefree.gov
- American Lung Association Smoking Cessation Programs: http://www.lung.org/associations/states/georgia/
- USG / GPC Employee Health Insurance Groups: Kaiser Permanente www.kp.org and BlueCross / BlueShield of GA www.bcbsga.com/bor/
- Georgia Tobacco Use Quit Line:
- 1-877-270-STOP (1-877-270-7867) – English
- 1-877-2NO-FUME (1-877-266-3863) – Spanish
- 1-877-777-6534 – Hearing Impaired