Intro: I was walking by Little 5 Points to get to Aurora Coffee Shop one afternoon. I was wearing some ripped jeans, a flannel, and my favorite Vans. I walked into Aurora and not one head turned. I got my tea from there and I left. I went to Buckhead right after to go to Lenox Mall. Once I started walking toward the mall through the parking lot, I noticed a lot of people staring at me; a lot of men and women in suits and business attire. It hit me instantly. Buckhead and Little 5 Points have different expectations.

Thesis/claim: Buckhead and Little 5 Points are very different in regards to how they are designed and built, who they attract, and what their purpose is.

1. Buckhead
    1. History behind Buckhead
      1. Henry Irby 1838, built a tavern and grocery store
      2. Got its name from a story that says Irby killed a buck and hung the head in his tavern
      3. Started out as a prime place for summer and country homes for Atlanta’s wealthiest
      4. Many of the large estates were sold off, allowing for some of the most famous and prestigious commercial development in the southeastern portion of the United States
    2. Modern Design
      1. Today, Buckhead real estate development milestones include Lenox Square built in 1959, which is the largest shopping center in the southeast.
      2. Phipps Plaza, another luxurious shopping center built soon after Lenox.
      3. In 1974, Tower Place was built and paved the way for future high-rises in Buckhead.
      4. Then in 1984, the flagship Ritz Carlton was built, which helped lead the Buckhead community further in deluxe accommodations and luxury.
    3. Who Buckhead attracts
      1. A lot of business people
      2. tourists
      3. celebrities
      4. upper class living
    4. the purpose of Buckhead
      1. Serves as a tourist attraction because of Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza
      2. Serves as a luxurious real estate attraction
      3. Luxurious shopping area
      4. Business attraction
    5. Little 5 Points
      1. History of Little 5 Points
        1. The first streetcars were built a little south of 5 Points in the 1890s
        2. As the population grew, it became of the earliest major regional shopping centers
        3. By the 1970s, it had started to decay, until urban pioneers and designers started restoring the homes in the area
        4. Soon after, local merchants formed the Little 5 Points Partnership to restore and revitalize the area
      2. Alternative design
        1. Little 5 Points is home to Indie Radio stations
        2. Coffee shops, skate shops
        3. Very edgy spirit
        4. Vintage
      3. Who Little 5 Points Attracts
        1. Alternative
        2. “hippies”
        3. Tourists
        4. Artists
      4. Purpose of Little 5 Points
        1. Shopping
        2. Tourist attraction
        3. Area of retail more than living