Final “MARCH” book club response

Dear John Lewis,

In these final pages of the book you divide into what are some of the most memorable events of the civil rights movement, such as, the horrific Bloody Sunday, the different attempts of the Selma to Montgomery march and finally the signing of the 1965 Voting Rights Act by Lyndon B. Johnson. Just like in the beginning of the book, Sheriff Wallace intervened and brutally beat many of the peaceful protestors. Eventually, the injunction was granted and the March to Montgomery was to be allowed! 

When reading these pages, I felt a mix of different emotions. At first I was angry that the segregation and treatment that black people and anyone who supported the civil rights movement were receiving in America  and that it was even legal at the time.One of the moments in the book that made me feel content was how even when the protestors would get treated badly they would say they still felt love for those people and just wanted to spread love. I found that as such a positive way to deal with all the hatred going on towards them. 

A question popped in mind while reading is what was your intention when inserting the pictures of Barack Obama in the middle of you getting ready for the march? In my opinion, that made the book feel rushed towards the end. 

I think that ways to combat the racism in the world today is to not introduce racism to kids at such young ages. Kids see/hear their parents be racist and this is something that sticks with them as they grow up. 

Overall, I loved reading your book, “MARCH”. I think that making it into a comic book was a good idea when talking about such a hard topic.

Sincerely, 

Samantha Cabrera.