Admission is competitive and is determined by the Director of Graduate Studies in English and the graduate committee. Applicants must satisfy the following minimum requirements to be considered for admission:
1. a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university
2. a “B” average (3.0) in the undergraduate major.
3. acceptable scores (no more than four years old) on the General portion of the GRE. Institutional code 5251 should be used for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores
4. two official transcripts of all previous college or university work.
5. two recommendation forms sent directly from persons who can testify to the applicant’s ability to do graduate work. (Copies of the required forms are available in the Graduate Office, the College of Arts and Sciences, or the Department of English.)
6. one-page statement of purpose describing educational and career goals
7. a 10-20 page writing sample that represents the quality of applicant’s critical thinking and writing skills and demonstrates their ability to do library research, literary analysis, and/or graduate-level composition.
8. Official TOEFL/IELTS Scores (international applicants only)
Applicants should be aware that meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the M.A. program in English.
|Fall Semester||March 8|
|Spring Semester||November 15|
|Summer Semester||Does Not Admit|
See the College Admissions Website for more details and to apply.
Graduate Director: Christopher Kocela
Associate Graduate Director: Tanya Caldwell
Graduate Student Advisor: Joyce Kane