Progress in 3d Atlanta

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I only worked on a few projects all year from start to finish. However, I never really worked on more than one at a time. This year, I’ve found myself working on 3 projects at a time. It hasn’t been overwhelming; I enjoy all of the things I’ve been working on.

First, as I mentioned in the last post, I have started working on 3d

Second attempt

Second attempt

First attempt

First attempt

Atlanta. I assume most people know what this project is about, but if not, this large project includes creating a 3D world of Atlanta from the 1920s using old photographs. I am apart of the modeling team, and our responsibilities include modeling and texturing buildings for the environment which can be viewed using Oculus Rift. I’ve been learning how to use Blender, a program which is used to create and manipulate 3d models. Now I won’t say  I am an expert at Blender now, but I’ve become really familiar with it, even though my model is very underwhelming. This isn’t necessarily difficult, but unfortunately we’re moving on to more treacherous waters.

The process for the modeling portion is first, you create a 3d model of the building using Blender, and second, you texture the building and  place it in Unity. In other words, you make the building pretty.  As Wasfi, my mentor and guide through all of this, has described it, this part of the process is very tedious and even he doesn’t know that much about it yet. So that makes me just a little worried, but I’m sure I’ll be fine. I think it will be fun to learn just like how it was fun to learn Blender.

I’ll show a picture of my poorly done model of some building windows, but hopefully, the next time I post an update on 3d Atlanta, you’ll see a fully textured, rendered, and realistic building.