It’s a work in progress.

Compared to my last post, I’ve spent a great amount of time in CURVE, as expected. In terms of project work or anything really specific, nothing wasn’t really assigned so I haven’t done anything in regards to those. However I did choose a project I was sort of interested in. I chose the arcGIS Outreach project, mainly because in my first semester of college I was taught by Brennan in a seminar titled “Mapping Atlanta.” It was actually a fun class, and we had some interesting projects we had to work on. We gained experience with arcGIS and actually went out in the field and mapped points on the arcGIS application in parks and forests miles away from Georgia State. It was enjoyable for the most part, so I figured I would continue to work with this. I’ll see how that goes.

Like I just mentioned, I haven’t had many experiences dealing with the projects I’m working on, well because I’m not working on any projects. But I am spending all this time in CURVE each day, passing the time by messing with the interactWall and the other workstations. I’m a Computer Science major, so I have been thinking this past week on what were the possible uses for all this technology for those in my field. At the official opening ceremony, I was behind the support desk, supervising everything as usual. I’m not sure if it’s called the support desk, but it sounds like a good name to me. However, as I was there, multiple people, including both adults and students, came by and asked me questions about the space. What I wanted to mention specifically was a conversation I had with one of the students that came by. I believe his name was Jonathan, and he was a junior studying Computer Science as well, so off the bat, it was pretty easy to start talking for a bit. Throughout the few minutes he was there, we were brainstorming ideas on how to use the technology, and although we didn’t go very far, this made me a little excited. His first question when he approached me was how would a Computer Science student use this technology, and I didn’t really know. But that doesn’t discourage me, as now I’ve made it a small personal goal to do some research on software and ideas for this purpose. And considering programming has developed into a team-based effort for most cases, the collaborative work stations seem like a perfect fit. There’s a great solution somewhere, but I just have to find it.