When I think of Photoshop, I think of the chocolate room scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, “What you’ll see will defy explanation”. That may sound like an exaggeration but in my world, you can create almost any type of art using this software. Especially with the new Photoshop CC which provides more tools to create 3D printer-ready graphics (I’ll be testing this out next week).

I think that people who are not well-versed in design software have some misconceptions about Photoshop and how it is used that tend to drive people away from trying to use it so allow me to clear them up.

1. Photoshop is just for editing pictures.
a. Don’t get me wrong, I myself have edited many a celebrity image for fun but Photoshop is so much more than that. Photoshop is great for correcting and enhancing existing pictures, but the aspect of Photoshop that I love the most is the ability to create my own graphics. Photoshop can be used to create flyers, posters, logos and more.

2. If I want to create a vector graphic, I have to use Illustrator instead.
a. Also not true. While it is the purpose of Illustrator to create vector graphics, Photoshop also does it quite well. In fact, you can include both pixel and vector pieces in the same project.

3. You can always tell when something is Photoshopped. It looks fake.
a. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE! When used correctly, you can make adjustments to images without being able to the enhancements. It takes patience and hard work(and adjustment layers) but it is 100% possible.

4. Photoshop is strictly for professional photographers and graphic designers.
a. Not at all. Nobody begins as an expert. Take some time to play around in Photoshop. Start off small by creating shapes and forming objects. Then move on to adding adjustment layers and effects. Finally, try using the healing brushes to remove blemishes and scratches from pictures. You’ll be Photoshopping pictures of yourself at the Oscars sitting between McConaughey and Meryl in no time (believe me… its fun).
1619425_10101273561963637_1242075394_n

There is a Photoshop for beginners workshop (taught by moi) that could be helpful if you are looking to explore Photoshop as a photo editing or graphic creation option. You can find the schedule at technology.gsu.edu/training. I hope to see you there!

BONUS: You can also edit video in Photoshop