April 29

Draft 2- Built Environment Analysis

Even though GSU is not like other Universities, for example, we don’t have many open grass areas like traditional campuses, but we do have more opportunities then other schools by being in the city near some of the biggest businesses. Atlanta may not busiest city in the country but it is home of the busiest airport, Harts-field Jackson, and home to many large cooperation’s, Home Depot, Porsche…etc. When I was young I had a dream of the type of University life I would have. I would walk to class every day. I would sit in the grass every day to talk with friends and study. There would be Frisbee and someone playing a guitar. I now attend Georgia State University which is far from any of that. I take the bus to class and I meet friends in the lounge areas. I study in a spacious but crowded and loud library. This environment is not all bad we are closer to majority of the jobs and we already know the city so navigation through it is much easier there. My opportunity cost for a more diverse learning environment and wider opportunities is green space and fresh air. One 1of my close friend attends a college that is the opposite of my university. Her state college has open ground and study areas on the grass, benches where you can study and eat. On the other hand, her school is not located next to any businesses or job opportunities, in fact its neighbor is a technical college. You can say that being downtown around all the busy streets and people is an advantage that most students should take. Downtown is full of interesting people and you never know it may even run into a future co-worker or boss. Being downtown you can explore many buildings, and also you have many places to choose from if you want to do an internship. Many campuses cannot utilize these opportunities like my school and peers can. I would like to have more open areas on campus grounds, or a social gathering areas. It will certainly decrease the amount of students in the school’s library. Atlanta downtown is known for being hectic and have a lot of traffic. I believe having a social gathering area, not only for my school, but for the people of Atlanta, it will encourage carpooling. All schools and cities are not perfect; I have to admit. My school could be one of those schools that have bad students, can be in a horrible area where I cannot have phone reception or even have gangbangers and thugs everywhere. My school is not exactly my perfect, absolute dream campus, but it is pretty close. At night, when I leave class, it is so pretty. All the huge Atlanta buildings are glowing; many have some people still working. The hotel names light up the city, as you walk down the street, you hear people conversations at the near food café, you see couples laughing and friends having a good time together. The different parts of campus are all surrounded by something new. You will never see the same things while you are downtown it is always something new going on. As for other schools that does not have this opportunity, there is probably not a lot of new things happening. When I go to campuses that are different from my school, I compare them. What does my campus have that this campus do not, and vice versa? Do the students like their campus, like how I like mines? What would make this school better? These are some questions I think about when it comes to comparing my school with others. I believe when I was younger, my dream college was based off of movies, and television shows. Now that I am a college student, I can see that it was all my imagination. Now that reality has stricken its’ cord, I now understand reasons why some colleges are located here they are now. My friends state college is located next to a technical college; she has the opportunities to meet other students from another school. On the other hand, my school does not have opportunity, even with the recent changes, fusing our campus with Georgia Perimeter College. By my campus being in the heart of Atlanta, I have the opportunity of visiting big businesses and the people that works in that particular facility. Having a campus in downtown Atlanta is better than having a campus that is not. Who would not like seeing skyscrapers, and big business that makes Georgia what it is today, when they are walking or riding to and from class? There is also more way of getting to school, you can drive, catch a bus, and also the streetcar if all else fails. On the other hand, other campuses may not have access to many public transportation services, that my school does.

Posted April 29, 2016 by kbattle2 in category Uncategorized