Introductory reflective essay

English 1102 has provided me with more intellectual growth than I planned to gain. I’ve learned how to become a better researcher about topics that I’m interest in. I’ve learned how to convey difficult information to my peers better. I have even learned how articulate better when I speak to my peers because of the reading that I have been doing for the course. This course has brought my academic reading and writing to a new plateau and allowed me to reach new heights as an individual. English 1102 has also gave me a tremendous amount of help with my major.
Through taking english 1102 I have developed a niche for researching topics that strike my interest because I know how to research them better than ever before. For example the financial crisis of 2008, a topic I’ve worked on almost the entire semester. I’m at a point where I can find a substantial amount of information about the financial crisis because I now know how to utilize my resources better. Prior taking this course I barely used the library to get scholarly sources. I always thought the library just had a bunch of old long boring books. But I was very wrong, the library is a tool this semester that I took advantage more than ever before and I tool I will continue to take advantage of in my academic career and when I start my career. I realized the library was an essential tool when I began looking at difficult topics regarding finance that were hard to interpret on a video or there simply weren’t many videos about the topic. For example a synthetic collateralized debt obligation, if I didn’t read that I woudn’t have had the slightest clue of what it was. Also if it wasn’t for taking english 1102 I wouldn’t have ever gotten a chance to talk to a very famous author in finance.
Due to the fact that I’m a finance major this course has helped me extensively because while I was conducting research about the financial crisis I learned more about my major than I’m sure a typical freshman has. I have learned things that juniors currently learning. This course has instilled a drive in me to conduct research on topics that interest me. English 1102 has shown me that I don’t have to wait until I get into a class to learn something I can start doing the research now and start learning now.
This course has also helped me mature better as an individual and prepare me for the rest of college. Everyone knows that a huge part of college is time management and this course has taught me time management which I think is one of the key things in college and life. While conducting my research and doing the peer reviews and the blog post I knew that I had to set aside times to do these assignments. If I didn’t have effective time management for this course my grade would suffer.
One of the most valuable things I believe this course has offered me is the ability to articulate when talking to my peers and when talking to a higher up. Recently I did a interview for a wallstreet program at gsu and if it wasn’t for the knowledge and understanding I received by writing my research essay and my multimedia annotated bibliography and my literature review I’m sure I wouldn’t have received positive feedback. But, do to the rigorous research I conducted and the pressure from my professor to make sure I understand to better explain it to my audience helped me through the process and has opened doors for me that I couldn’t have began to imagine would open.