October has been quite an exciting month for me. I got to work on various projects listed below.

  1. Glass Plate Negative Photo Gallery: The task was to display the glass plate negative photographs from the 1920’s (Remember, we have done photo-stitching to merge Atlanta historic photos last semester ?!). Now, I worked with Zoomify product that makes high-quality images available on the Web. The Zoomify products work in two steps:
  • Zoomify Convertor: Converts images of any size or quality to stream for fast initial display and on-demand viewing of fine details! The converted images could be either Zoomify folders or ZIF files (Zoomify Image Format). ZIF files are useful for hosted sites that limit support for uploading folders or large numbers of files.
  • Zoomify Image Viewer: Enables publishing of multi-megabyte or even multi-gigabyte photos that can be viewed without any large download. Users can interactively zoom in/out and pan left/right and explore huge images of truly high quality.

To publish the Zoomify converted image to a website, we need to copy four things to the webserver:

  • The Viewer file ZoomifyImageViewer.js (provided with the product).
  • Converted Zoomify Image folder (the entire folder, not just its contents).
  • The Assets folder from the product download (and its subfolders).
  • Your web page which displays the images in a preferred format.

I designed the webpage to have two image viewers where one is a slideshow of the photographs from glass plate negative collection and the other viewer displays the map showing the location of those photographs. You can have a glimpse of the webpage in the below screenshot.

glassplate-negative

 

  1. Unpacking Manuel’s Project: I have been guiding the newbies on using Blender and have assigned them frames for Unpacking Manuel’s project. I believe in a few days, we can have all our frames on the wall that fellow SIF, Jack has modeled so brilliantly. I have modeled few frames. Please find below a screenshot of the rendered frames and I am still working on texturing them.

wall1

 

  1. Hoccleve Archive: We have made progress with the search functionality of the Hoccleve Archive. Earlier, I ran into some issues because of the huge JSON file sizes. After simplifying the JSON files, there was another issue with traversing the JSON as it has a complicated data structure. However, we have figured out that the ideal way would be to filter the objects and then using js map method to return specific format of filtered objects . I believe in the next few weeks, the search functionality will be ready to roll and I am very excited about it!

 

I am looking forward to share progress on the current projects and more in my next blog!

 

 

Skip to toolbar