Thank you for your valuable input about the two proposals I shared with you in my email of February 19. Let’s stay proactive so that we can take GMATYC to another level!
Below are the modified proposals approved by the GMATYC executive board:
- Request the PC Conference Committee to schedule the GMATYC meeting right after lunch.
- Raise individual membership to $15.
- Offer free membership to adjuncts for the first year. For adjuncts to become GMATYC member, they must fill out the application and email it to the treasurer.
- Instead of 1-year student membership in GMATYC, we have 1-year adjunct faculty membership in GMATYC ($5).
In addition, our Mathematics division at Perimeter College has covered registration for adjunct instructors for the PC conference. This year I only saw one adjunct from online. Maybe we need to publicize it more, and get our adjuncts involved with the work of the conference and ask them to submit a proposal to present. We have wonderful adjuncts who work very hard and use innovative teaching tools in their classrooms.
The keynotes of the 2018 AMATYC Conference are now ready to be viewed. Here are the links:
Billy Hix: https://youtu.be/X87vojKFitQ
Guadalupe Quintanilla: https://youtu.be/e2NWno5_Ykc
In addition, active links from the conference proceedings are availble here: www.amatyc.org/2018ConfProc . The proceedings links will also include the pre and post keynote video segments.
The AMATYC Conference in Orlando has not begun yet, but plans are underway for the Milwaukee Conference scheduled for November 14-17, 2019. Please plan to share your expertise, research, or great ideas by submitting a proposal, whether for 25-minute mini session, 50-minute sessions, two-hour workshop, Chat & Chew table talks, or posters. Proposals will be accepted online beginning November 1, 2018 through February 1, 2019.
Hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to share and network with colleagues from around the country and at times the world. Attending the AMATYC conference is promised to be engaging and enjoyable for anyone who teaches math
The latest GMATYC Newsletter is now available! To read about the upcoming University of North Georgia Math Tournament, an exciting program at Georgia State University’s Perimeter College, and kudos to two Middle Georgia State University faculty, click the link below.
Fall 2018 GMATYC Newsletter
Do you know of a student who is majoring in mathematics at your institution? AMATYC will award one college student a $1,000 scholarship (Wanda Garner Presidential Student Scholarship) from a random drawing of the nominations submitted by the affiliates. Below are the criteria:
- Each affiliate may submit one nomination from a student attending a qualifying institution. To be a qualifying institution, the institution must employ at least one member in good standing of AMATYC.
- The student must be nominated by an AMATYC member who is an employee of the qualifying institution.
- The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- The nominated students must be majoring in mathematics and enrolled full-time at the nominating institution during the spring semester preceding the Annual AMATYC conference when the award will be announced.
Please send your nominations to Behnaz Rouhani before Friday, October 12.
To read a welcome from the new President, outcomes of the Student Math League and University of North Georgia Math Tournament, the winner of the Bill Bompart Award for Teaching Excellence, and more, click below.
Spring 2018 GMATYC Newsletter
GMATYC needs your support for us to continue to be a voice in all things related to mathematics education during the first two years of college. If you have not renewed your membership for another year, please do so at your earliest. As your President, I get funds equal to the registration fee to attend the 2018 AMATYC conference. However, I would like to challenge you with this offer – I am going to give this registration fee to anyone who brings on board the largest number of new enrollees to GMATYC (at least 7).
So, when you talk to your colleagues please ask that they contact our Treasurer, Sanda Manole at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know who has introduced them to GMATYC. The deadline for this offer is July 1, 2018.