Cool Tools – Wideo, Moovly, and PowToon – Animated Videos Made Easy

Have you ever wanted to create a sweet splainer video?  (I swear ‘splainer’ is a real word.  At least as long as appearing in urban dictionary counts.)  Do you admire the animated videos you see on websites and wish that you could make one for your course that will really bring a concept to life?  Luckily, if this is your heart’s desire, there are some tools that will do just that.  Sure you could use tools that are slick and cost money like Tumult Hype or Adobe Edge, but what about free tools?  Well, no kidding, there are some very easy and very FREE tools that can help you make your animated dreams come true.

Introducing WideoMoovly, and PowToon

Cue logos…

These three online tools do very similar things.  They create animations using a simple editor.  They truly are quite easy to use.  Here’s the splainer (it’s a word, seriously) video for all three products:

And just to prove how easy they are to use, here are three more videos using the same image files in each of the three platforms.  All three are educational videos, though clearly geared toward a young audience, about the lifecycle of a frog.

Create an account for one or more of these tools, bring along a generous helping of creativity, a topic that needs splained (okay, that isn’t a real word. Sorry) and make some animated videos.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Cool Tools
10 comments on “Cool Tools – Wideo, Moovly, and PowToon – Animated Videos Made Easy
  1. Wylak Integro says:

2. James R Clark says:

Thanks. I had used Powtoons but had not come across the other 2.

The others look good too so I will make sure to check them out soon.

I have some video I made using Powtoons on my James R Clark site.

3. lexy says:

I have used powtoon great tool.

4. lexy says:

I love powtoon but i prefer power animate.The whole process is user-friendly.

Thanks of the post

5. claire says:

I love animations but don’t know which of these to choose from.

6. Dr Angelos Rodafinos says:

One of Powtoon’s best aspects for us academics is the option to search for photos on the internet and have the software automatically add the link to the photo you select.

Author Idiots are invincible

• Sam Williams says:

Looking for users with 100+ hours of experience creating PowToon animations to collaborate with.

Team of 6 undergrads working on a series of 3-4 minute videos designed to show college students how to find, win paid internships. (First resumes, cover letters, elevator speeches and videos plus fielding interview questions).

Would be very helpful to find a user’s group to turn to for tips, suggestions, questions.

Please connect to

7. Sam Williams says:

Please e-mail me at to request info about joining this users group.

8. Stella says:

I have been using Moovly for the past few months and I find the interface well designed, the library has plenty of options, and the learning curve is rather shallow. Overall I am happy with the tool and will continue to use it for quick-and-easy explainer videos and animations.

9. dani ramdani says:

wwiiihhh this is good blog thanks for this is :) i enjoyed reading :) nice