Teaching: Navigating Surveillance and Visibility in the Online Classroom

Dig, if you will, the picture of an online public health professor checking out Zaption analytics. Or, let’s consider a distance learning accounting student who leaves a fantastic instructor review on one of the many online professor rating services. What do these very disparate scenarios have in common? Well, they both involve watching, tracking, and reporting behaviors related to the online classroom environment. From analytics to privacy to bullying and beyond, surveillance is a hot topic in higher education contexts. In this post I’d like to briefly tease the complicated realities of surveillance and visibility in online teaching rather than presenting a “Yay, privacy!” or “Boo, surveillance!” pose.

Heart on Monitor

I first became interested in this topic several years ago when I was concurrently teaching my first online class and taking a qualitative research methods class. One day in my qualitative class my professor joked(?), “If you don’t do your readings I’ll know because Brightspace lets me see if you’ve clicked on a file”. From that day forward I was fascinated with the way that we as educators can watch and track what our students do in online environments as well as the ethical implications that go along with this ability. However, the story is much, much more complicated than a simple question of privacy concerns versus course improvement via analytics. Consider the following two questions for yourself:

• How do students and professors both simultaneously engage in and resist the culture of watching and being watched? I think that we live in an equally scopophilic/scopophobic culture. In other words we are both drawn to and repelled by being watched and watching others (and ourselves). Is this not the case in your online classes as well? If so, what types of watching are you engaging in? Alternately, how are you also avoiding tracking your students? How are your students engaged in this same complex negotiation?  Moreover, is surveillance always disenfranchising or can it also be empowering? And, ultimately, why does any of this matter?
  • How can questions about surveillance inform your course design and delivery? Ok, so let’s say that you accept my premise that students and professors are enmeshed in a complex surveillant web. Additionally, you’ve also decided that this matters to your teaching philosophy or practice. Where do you go from here? I think that your next move is to consider the practical implications of your musings and integrate these into your teaching. For instance, when I was faced with these types of considerations as an instructor I made several changes to my course. First, I wanted to make the professor-to student-data gathering piece of the course more transparent. I achieved this by including a statement in my syllabus informing my students about what types of data I had available on them as well as how I was using it to improve the course experience. Second, I stopped giving out my cell phone number. Although many of my interactions with students via text were enriching I found it exhausting to be always on, always visible, always available. Thus, I cut off this form of self-surveillance related to my teaching. Third, I placed my students into semester-long support groups. These groups offered students several types of supportive surveillance that I would normally provide. In these small ways I achieved a certain democratization of watching and tracking while recognizing the impossibility/undesirability of slipping away from surveillance altogether.

If you’d like to learn more about the complexities of surveillance in higher education and in the wider culture check out the open source journal Surveillance and Society. This publication presents theoretical and empirical research from critical and postmodern perspectives. In addition, your friendly neighborhood CETL instructional designers can also help you think about these more philosophical parts of your design and teaching. I believe that you’ll find a lot of value in considering your stance on this hot topic and how it can effect your own experience in higher ed.

Image Attributions:

monitor heart by Vectors Market from the Noun Project

About

Bing

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in #trending, Teaching
16 comments on “Teaching: Navigating Surveillance and Visibility in the Online Classroom
  1. research paper writing service says:

Every student has the chance of enjoying our affordable research paper writing service. The writers hired at the company are professionals with significant experience

2. Ferry says:

I simply need to tell you that I simply look at your site and I think that it is extremely intriguing and useful. I can hardly wait to read bunches of your posts. I was going to search for some master and educative content like this, I am thankful that I have frequented here.https://www.dissertationcapital.com

3. LA Lash Academy says:

I want to thank you for your time for this wonderful Article!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. Online teaching is a great idea to teach students. It will help those students who are interested in distance education. We are also looking forward to providing eyelash extension training

4. Converter says:

I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

5. Dumps4less says:

Dumps4less provide best Dumps Pdf to pass all the certifications exam with high grades must visit here.

6. uyiuiiy says:

One of the best article here i live it very much this is the nice update for all players can got it how to get robux for free most of the people can exited for join this fun zone thans.

7. Thomas William says:

Nice and awesome post! thanks for sharing such a valuable information with us. keep posting.
    do my homework online

8. Walter says:

Domyhomework.us is one of the best homework help in the US for college students who are asking to do my math homework. You can easily take help from us anytime as we are available 24*7 to help the students.

9. Get 300-835 Exam Dumps Today | Pass Exam in Striking First Attempt says:

Get Cisco 300-835 Exam Questions today by Exams4sure. Exams4sure provides you 100% real exam questions with 100% passing assurance. You can easily prepare and pass the exam on the first attempt. Get free 300-835 demo today. For more information please visit us.

10. Accounting Information System Assignment Writing Service says:

AllAssignmentHelp is the best online organization of the Accounting Information System Assignment Writing Service, Macroeconomics Assignment Help, history coursework help, Essay assignment help Middlesex, and many more academic services. Our experienced writers help you with all your academic needs. We give you 100% plagiarism free and well-written Assignment writing at a genuine cost.

11. take my online quiz says:

Thanks for updating nice information! Take my online quiz US experts. Get in touch with our tutors are providing all types of online programming exam help services 24×7 at affordable price.

12. Chin says:

I want to thank you for your time for this wonderful Article!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. Online teaching is a great idea to teach students https://www.upsers.mobi/

13. Marionau says:

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your website is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this website. https://www.telldunkin.me/

14. Derulo says:

I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative! Keep on putting up https://www.yourtexasbenefits.biz/

15. Quirinus Soft IT Development Company says:

Quirinus Soft driving E commerce Application Development Services Company has through and through fitness in different stages and headway to plan and make inclining and industry-express E commerce arrangements. Contact here, what we have includes in our E commerce development arrangements: Woo-commerce Development, Open Cart Development, Magneto Development, Custom E commerce Development. Being an eminent eCommerce Website Development Company and one-stop arrangement provider, we have a couple of distinguishing strengths in our quiver. Our greatness and our commitment to the two go under a single umbrella and will indeed cover your business from specific distortion.Quirinus Soft at bark