Interwebs – NYTimes – Young Minds

If you aren’t a reader of The Stone, the NYTimes weekly opinion column where “contemporary philosophers and other thinkers on issues both timely and timeless” or something or other, you should probably pat yourself on the back – it was great for the first year, but now it’s mainly become a platform for a few folks who want to talk about atheism and agnosticism and that’s about it. (oh, how the grey lady has let this one fall flat on its face) However, every now and again there are some gems in there, and so where I would never encourage you to follow the blog, I am happy to follow it for you and then tell you when something of value is posted there.

A few weeks ago they posted a fantastic article about higher education by Michael Roth, President of Wesleyan University. Specifically, the article dealt with the ways in which we can provide a more powerful experience for our students if we not only help them to be skilled critics of preexisting knowledge, but also active participants in the creation of knowledge and other cultural artifacts. Here’s one of the fantastic thoughts from the article:

Liberal learning depends on absorption in compelling work. It is a way to open ourselves to the various forms of life in which we might actively participate. When we learn to read or look or listen intensively, we are, at least temporarily, overcoming our own blindness by trying to understand an experience from another’s point of view. We are not just developing techniques of problem solving; we are learning to activate potential, and often to instigate new possibilities.

Does this require technology? No. Is it expensive? No. Does it take plenty of thought in designing a pedagogical experience, or even just letting it bubble up into existence? Possibly. It is not easy to quantify these experiences in terms of learning objectives, or to ensure that everyone will have the same experience, but the promise of liberal education as a place that awakens the potentials of its students to become participants in the creation of our shared culture can serve as a call to arms for all of us. We don’t need to be trapped by this as an ideology, but rather to think pragmatically about how this spirit can be infused into our everyday practice. It actually isn’t as hard as you might think.

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Interwebs, The Exchange
14 comments on “Interwebs – NYTimes – Young Minds
  1. Milessmith says:

your personal experienceMi https://vidmate.onl/download/ ndfully using our emotions as data about our inner state and knowing when it’s better to de-escalate by taking a time out are great tools. Appreciate you reading and sharing your story, since I can certainly relate and I think others can too

2. holliweb12 says:

If you are a customer of Publix then you must take part in the Publix survey cause Publix organized. https://surveysguide.onl/

3. Carlton Flores says:

Does it take plenty of thought in designing a pedagogical experience https://get-vidmateapk.com/

4. Carlton Flores says:

It is not easy to quantify these experiences in terms of learning objectives https://get-shareit.com

5. hassan cmt says:

I havent any word to appreciate this post…..Really i am impressed from this post….the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    Emergency Locksmith Forestville MD

6. Larry Walters says:

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!
    Vehicle Lockout Forestville MD

7. Rosie says:

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Moving Services in Fairfax VA

8. clair filip says:

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    Odor Removal Elkridge MD

9. Ashton Maitland says:

I would like to commend the author for his skill and talent in writing this interesting article. I learned a lot from his post and trying to buy proposal writing services to write my own articles without any mistaskes. Cherish for sharing this awesome blog.

10. ben stokes says:

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
    Unpacking Services CUPERTINO CA

11. ben stokes says:

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.
    Residential Moving San Francisco CA

12. sam says:

This is good option for every one

13. jebacorfocera says:

It an online questionnaire composed by Emsar Online Survey to evaluate customer thankfulness of their services and products.In response, Emsar describes you with an attractive discount offer as an Emsar Coupon Code to win an iPad Mini, which can be helpful on the next visit to Emsar Location.

14. John Micson says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! Sedan Service Hillsborough NC