Racial Injustice.

Dear Mr. John Lewis,

Before reading your book, “MARCH,” my knowledge of the Birmingham shooting was very minimal. I gathered only the basics of this significant historical event but never took the time to dig deeper until now. You see, I never questioned the intention of the shooting, just assumed that it was another part of the racial war taking place in that time. The more I read, the more I realized that while yes, the bombing was in effort of maintaining segregation, it was also to send a message. The message that racial equality will never be a thing. Now, here we are 56 years later and I have quickly come to the realization that not much has changed between now and then; we are still fighting racial injustice. Some may say that things have improved and although that may be true, the way I see it is that African Americans will always fight for justice against their white superiors. I think a good way to begin the long journey of creating true racial equality would be to put an end to all hate groups formed against us and treat all criminal offense cases, especially police brutality, equally. No matter the race.

Sincerly,

Celine High