The Library

I chose this space because it brings me a sense of comfort every time I walk in to get my work done. It’s quiet, for the most part and every student is working independently trying to get their work done. I like to go to a little corner in the back, where its past the printing station to the left, and where it’s a little excluded and hidden. That’s the area where I usually try to get my work done, and for the most part i’m successful.

This area is on the first floor, near the cafe inside, and surrounded by multiple rows of shelves that are filled with movies. Almost every computer has a student in front of it, trying to get their work and assignments finished. The line to get to the printing station is always constant and the sound of the printer making the copies of paper never ends. There’s the scatter of feet as people walk by, trying to get to their next destination. Each table you see is full with students and their textbooks and notes. The very back, are the tables of students that are just trying to eat their meal, or have play a simple card game with their friends. Where I sit, I can see all of that and observe the other people in the library and notice their habits.

The library is a space where someone can focus and take their time to get an assignment done and it gives the student a sense of comfort and familiarity to be by themselves, or to be in a group with their friends. The library also makes me think about how many students are trying their hardest to keep their grades up and maintain the scholarships they receive. That also makes me think about how many students aren’t as lucky and can’t receive federal aid or even go to school, due to their status. There are people I know who aren’t as lucky as me, who pay almost twice as much, or who had to let go of the idea of going to school because they aren’t from here, but they consider themselves an American. This reminds me of immigration and what’s going on in our government and media and around the world as well. I believe it should be talked about more often as a whole, not just for politics because one never knows how you can help someone. The more people who know about it, the more change that can be applied.